Search Open Positions
Respiratory Student Extern Contingent
DMC Huron Valley-Sinai Hospital in Oakland County is committed to outstanding customer service and medical care. This hospital features the Harris Birthing Center with all private birthing suites, the Charach Cancer Treatment Center (affiliated with the Barbara Ann Karmanos Cancer Center), cardiac services, and comprehensive inpatient and outpatient diagnostic care. For emergency services, obstetrics and ambulatory surgery, Huron Valley-Sinai consistently ranks among the top hospitals in the nation.
A Respiratory Therapy Extern is defined as a person who is a full-time student in an accredited Respiratory Therapy program and works at the hospital in addition to their clinical studies. Under supervision of Registered Respiratory Therapists, the extern performs basic tasks, which have been learned in class and practiced in the School setting.
- Ensures safe and effective administration of medically prescribed medication, knowing their indications and contraindications and following the policy and procedures in administering therapeutic modalities
- Maintains accurate and appropriate documentation and departmental records
- Participates in the Continuous Quality Improvement Process for the department.
- Relates how processes that are being tracked to enhanced care given at the bedside
- Responds to arrest situations as a member of the 'code team'. Perform CPR as required
- Takes an active role in developing new ideas for process improvement and assists other personnel in data collection and interpretation
- To store, assemble and maintain equipment as needed
- Collects equipment from all the areas of the hospital and cleans and reassembles equipment according to proper procedure observing standard precautions
- Administers medication and treatments in accordance with established policies
- Reports identified unusual patient conditions/reaction to immediate supervisor
- Performs quality control on all Respiratory Care equipment to include I-STAT blood gas analyzer
- Utilizes resources efficiently and effectively
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Must be a full-time student in good standing in an accredited Respiratory.
- Successful completion of academic and clinical competencies, specific for each task.
- Work experience may NOT substitute for minimum education requirement.
- BLS Certification required
Employment practices will not be influenced or affected by an applicant’s or
employee’s race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), national origin,
age, disability, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or
expression, veteran status or any other legally protected status. Tenet will
make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities
unless doing so would result in an undue hardship.
Tenet participates in the E-Verify program. Follow the link below for additional information.
Jobs for You
- RN Orthopedics Nights PT Sign on Bonus available Job ID: 2305003490-1 Date posted: 12/05/2023 Facility: DMC Huron Valley-Sinai Hospital
- Patient Care Associate Stepdown ICU Nights FT Job ID: 2305003449-1 Date posted: 11/27/2023 Facility: DMC Huron Valley-Sinai Hospital
- Exercise Specialist Days PT Job ID: 2305001491-7 Date posted: 10/10/2023 Facility: DMC Huron Valley-Sinai Hospital
Tenet - A Community
Built on Care.
Across the country, the Tenet family includes 110,000 employees working in more than 65 hospitals and over 475 outpatient centers. We’re all focused on delivering the right care in the right place at the right time.
At Tenet, the impact of our work spreads far and deep across the many dimensions of healthcare that we touch. Every day, our employees and physicians foster a compassionate environment for care and healing in the communities we serve. We take pride in what we do, we are passionate about our chosen path, and we take seriously the true privilege we have in serving others as a Community Built on Care.Learn About Opportunities Across Tenet