Search Open Positions
Child Life Specialist Patient Technology Days PT
Children’s Hospital of Michigan is an international leader in pediatric and adolescent medicine. Surgical services include general, thoracic, reconstructive and cardiovascular. Imaging technology designed specifically for children provides advanced diagnostic services including Positron Emission Tomography (PET) and MRI. The Children’s Hospital of Michigan Emergency Department is a verified Level 1 Pediatric Trauma Center and dedicated pediatric burn center. Experts in pediatric critical care, rehabilitation, and neonatal and perinatal medicine provide care for thousands of children every year at Children’s Hospital of Michigan, Children’s Hospital of Michigan - Troy and six ambulatory sites.
Under general supervision, provides child life services for ambulatory and inpatient children and their families. Administers programs and provides services that reduce distress, increase adaptive coping and protect and enhance developmental integrity by offering opportunities to play, learn and interact with others in an emotionally and physically safe environment.
1. The Patient Technology Specialist is responsible for management, performance, and completion of patient recreational and educational technology based projects.
2. Responsible for coordinating activities, identifying appropriate resources needed, and developing schedules to ensure timely completion of projects.
3. Provides appropriate play utilizing technology items where patients and families learn and interact with others in an emotionally and physically safe environment; while working with clinical staff to provide coordinated support.
4. Plans and implements a therapeutic play program to help hospitalized and ambulatory patients to adjust to the health care experience. Utilizes therapeutic play techniques, assessments and observations as diagnostic and treatment tools. Documents treatment plans, goals and observations.
5. Assists in preparing and orienting children and families for diagnostic and treatment procedures using developmentally appropriate methods. Provides support and helps facilitate coping through stress reduction techniques.
6. Provides information, education and support to patients and families on issues pertaining to hospitalization, illness, medical experiences and growth and development. Supports family bonds and utilizes family and cultural strengths to provide consistent and quality care for children.
7. Participates as a member of the interdisciplinary treatment team through program planning and team meetings in order to provide services in a holistic manner. Consults with other team members regarding the developmental status and individual needs of children to promote adaptation to treatment.
8. Presents educational programs to health care professionals and to the community regarding child health and development, the impact of illness, injury and hospitalization on children and families and parent education.
9. Collaborates with other professionals regarding the psychosocial, emotional and environmental needs of the child to promote adaptation to hospitalization and treatment. Offers counsel specific to the impact of health care experiences.
10. Provides guidance and training to child life students and volunteers.
1. Bachelor's degree in Child Life, Child Growth and Development, Recreational Therapy or related field.
2. Eligible for certification as a Child Life Specialist by the Child Life Certification Commission.
3. 600 hour internship experience including six weeks training in pediatrics preferred.
4. Requires minimum of 3 years’ experience working as a Certified Child Life Specialist in a clinical setting.
5. General knowledge of current digital gaming hardware/software, virtual & augmented reality, iOS, Android & Windows.
1. Analytical ability to assess patient needs and develop and provide appropriate services.
2. Interpersonal skills to work productively with patients, families, health care professionals and other members of the community.
3. Technical knowledge related to the provision of Child Life services.
Employment practices will not be influenced or affected by an applicant’s or
employee’s race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), national origin,
age, disability, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or
expression, veteran status or any other legally protected status. Tenet will
make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities
unless doing so would result in an undue hardship.
Tenet participates in the E-Verify program. Follow the link below for additional information.
Jobs for You
- Surgical Technician Nights FT Job ID: 2205032208 Date posted: 09/07/2022 Facility: DMC Sinai-Grace Hospital
- Security Officer I Nights FT Job ID: 2205035357 Date posted: 09/22/2022 Facility: DMC Children's Hospital of Michigan
- Security Officer I Nights FT Job ID: 2205027129 Date posted: 08/05/2022 Facility: DMC Children's Hospital of Michigan
Tenet - A Community
Built on Care.
Across the country, the Tenet family includes 110,000 employees working in more than 65 hospitals and over 475 outpatient centers. We’re all focused on delivering the right care in the right place at the right time.
At Tenet, the impact of our work spreads far and deep across the many dimensions of healthcare that we touch. Every day, our employees and physicians foster a compassionate environment for care and healing in the communities we serve. We take pride in what we do, we are passionate about our chosen path, and we take seriously the true privilege we have in serving others as a Community Built on Care.Learn About Opportunities Across Tenet