CSP Instrument Coordinator
- Job ID 1905035800
- Date posted 09/13/2019
- Facility DMC Receiving Hospital
Under general supervision, acts as a liaison between Central Sterile Processing and the surgical areas on issues related to surgical instruments. Collaborates with Perioperative Leadership team to verify need for new instruments and develops rationale to support requests. Meets with sales representatives from various companies to discuss new instruments. Coordinates the repair of instruments both on site as well as those that have to be sent out. Administers inventory requisition, purchasing, and back order tracking of instruments in the Central Sterile Processing department. Maintains appropriate inventory levels of backup instruments and equipment. Maintain records and runs reports of instruments purchased and repaired. Helps facilitates in-service training on new instrumentation and equipment.
1. Maintains work area in a clean and orderly condition. Ensures proper storage of instruments and related equipment.
- Implements a procedure to order, receive, inspect, sort and inventory instrumentation at established par levels: commercially produced and internally produced.
- Communicates defective surgical instrumentation and special requested medical devices and supplies to appropriate personnel.
- Takes appropriate action to repair and/or replace any defective instrumentation utilizing approved manufacturers and vendors.
- Collaborates, with the CSP leadership, educator, OR leadership and clinical managers the delivery and education of special requested medical devices and new instruments and/or medical supplies.
- Implements a preventative maintenance program for surgical instruments and equipment utilizing approved manufacturers and vendors.
- Coordinates the completion of both sterile and non-sterile incomplete sets so they can be put back into service.
- Establishes and maintains files for vendor communications, computer files, manufacturer equipment manuals, technical publications, and requisition requests.
- Updates the department's current instrument management system with changes to instrument sets and/or count sheets and well as the addition of new instruments. Helps maintain the systems database.
- Acts as technical support to Surgical Services staff for new medical instrumentation and special order medical instrumentation.
- Ensures that vendors follow department policies related to the checking in and out of loaner instruments and trays including the completion of appropriate paperwork.
- Assist the department supervisors in coordinating the reprocessing, replacement and delivery of surgical instruments for all of the off-site practice locations.
- Participates in education of health care providers related to receipt, inspection, inventory, storage & distribution of instrumentation and medical supplies in Processing, function of specialty instrumentation, problem resolution of frequently encountered instrument function issues and instrument maintenance program.
14. Performs other duties as assigned.
1. High school graduate or equivalent. Associates degree preferred.
2. Three years of Sterile Processing Technician experience.
3. Certified Sterile Processing Technician through CBSPD or IAHCSMM. Certified Instrument Technician through CBSPD or IAHCSMM within 12 month of hire into the position.
1. Understanding of the care and handling of surgical instrumentation.
2. Analytical ability to evaluate and assess instrument needs and repairs.
3. Interpersonal skills to effectively communicate with various hospital personnel and outside vendors.
4. Knowledge of surgical instruments as well as cleaning and sterilization processes.
5. Ability to demonstrate mechanical aptitude.
6. Ability to push, pull objects weighing up to 450 lbs. and lift objects weighing up to 50 lbs.
7. Ability to provide high level of technical computer support and use.
8. Ability to use windows based applications such as Excel, Word and other software in order to perform essential functions of the job.
Employment practices will not be influenced or affected by an applicant’s or employee’s race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), national origin, age, disability, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status or any other legally protected status. Tenet will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities unless doing so would result in an undue hardship.Tenet participates in the E-Verify program. Follow the link below for additional information.