Hospital Compliance Officer (HCO), DMC Adult Central Campus - Detroit, Michigan
Job ID: 2105027819 Date Posted: 07/22/2021 Facility: Tenet Executive Search
- Mid-Senior level
- No Travel
What makes a successful Hospital Compliance Officer (HCO), DMC Adult Central Campus - Detroit, Michigan at our location? Check out the top traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
“Our physicians, specialists, surgeons, nurses and other healthcare professionals are highly skilled and dedicated to providing the best possible medical care. We advance health through the continuous pursuit of evidence-based, coordinated care. Our goal is to be your trusted and lifelong partner for health and wellness services.”-Frank Molinaro, Chief Executive Officer at Abrazo Health
Paid Time Off
Stock Purchase Program
Life and Disability Insurance
The Hospital Compliance Officer (HCO) has responsibility for managing the implementation of Tenet’s Ethics and Compliance Program for his/her assigned facilities.
The Hospital Compliance Officer's general duties and responsibilities encompass implementing Tenet's systems, processes and policies designed to ensure compliance with Federal healthcare program requirements at the hospital level. The Hospital Compliance Officer is also responsible for overseeing the implementation of Tenet's Compliance Charter in his or her facilities.
The Hospital Compliance Officer reports directly to the Group Compliance Officer for the Michigan Group. Reporting to the Hospital Compliance Officer may be other functions such as contract management or other support staff.
FUNCTIONAL EXPECTATIONS & REQUIREMENTS:
Among the specific responsibilities and activities of the HCO are the following:
- Advise Hospital leadership on issues concerning compliance and ethics matters including recommending controls designed to ensure compliance.
- Work collaboratively with Hospital leadership in compliance and ethics program development and implementation.
- Establish effective working relationships and build credibility within the Hospital to support a culture of ethics and compliance.
- Interface directly with Hospital employees and serve as a sounding board for their concerns about ethics and compliance matters.
- Independently investigate or supervise the investigation of compliance and ethics concerns about the Hospital that are raised through Tenet's Ethics Action Line or other reporting mechanisms.
- Oversee the implementation of Tenet's education and training program that focuses on the requirements of Tenet's Compliance Charter and the Tenet's ethics and compliance program to ensure that all directors, employees, contractors and physicians within the Hospital are knowledgeable of Federal healthcare program requirements and the requirements of Tenet's Ethics and Compliance program as required to perform their respective roles.
- Ensure distribution of compliance and ethics policies and procedures and Tenet's Standards of Conduct.
- Coordinate with Tenet's Regional Counsel to facilitate communication between the Compliance and Ethics Department and Law Department on legal compliance matters.
- Identify Hospital risk areas and assist in developing auditing, monitoring and oversight processes related to identified risks.
- Oversee the implementation of corrective actions and monitoring in response to identified issues and audits.
- Develop monitoring systems and processes for compliance and ethics issues at the hospital level.
- Implement policies and procedures that encourage Hospital employees, leadership, contractors and physicians to report suspected fraud or other improprieties without the fear of retaliation.
- Chair the Hospital Compliance Committee, which oversees the implementation of Tenet's Ethics and Compliance program and its Compliance Charter in the facility.
- Prepare monthly compliance reports identifying compliance issues.
- Work collaboratively with Hospital and Corporate personnel to resolve all compliance issues identified.
- Periodically reports on ethics and compliance matters to the Hospital Governing Board.
- Implement Tenet's compliance work plan and initiatives and systems to prevent compliance issues from arising within the Hospital.
- Report to Hospital management on compliance matters on a routine basis.
- Act as a consultative resource on compliance and ethics matters.
CANDIDATE EXPERIENCE, ATTRIBUTES AND EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS:
Required experience includes:
- Strong preference for at least two years’ experience in healthcare compliance matters, preferably for a large, multi-faceted healthcare company.
- The successful candidate will be recognized for demonstrated knowledge in compliance process improvement and the requirements of Federal healthcare programs. Other success factors include past clinical, legal, auditing or other compliance experience.
- Clear, concise and persuasive writing and presentation skills.
- Strong organizational skills and an orientation to deadlines and detail.
- Ability to respond well under pressure.
- Skills in use of information systems, databases, Excel and Microsoft Word.
- Enjoys working as a member of a cohesive team,and is good at doing so.
- Well-developed communications and consensus building skills
- Strong presentation skills.
Professional and Personal Attributes
- An energetic, results-oriented individual, not content with the status quo. A doer more than a talker.
- A leader who will inspire confidence and establish a sense of common direction and vision.
- An individual with high personal and professional integrity. A highly principled and sincere individual.
- Sensitive to the proper concerns of the staff, but able to appropriately balance these concerns with the overall institutional goals.
- Highly articulate with the ability to communicate effectively and credibly in both oral and written context.
- A team player and a good listener who truly values the input of others and their contributions, and positively responds to such input.
- One who accepts delegation and is able to make decisions.
- Coach, mentor, and supporter.
- Diligent about follow-through, thorough and well-prepared.
- Committed to the highest quality of patient care. Innovative and creative.
- Sense of humor. A good sense of humor responds to the flow of conversation in ways that are creative and entertaining, not abusive or offensive. A good sense of humor also means you can see things from different sides, from different angles, and in different ways.
A Bachelor’s degree is required and a Master’s degree is preferred.
A competitive compensation program will be tailored to the selected candidate. Base salary will be supplemented by a performance bonus and comprehensive, well-rounded benefits program, which includes relocation assistance. The performance bonus is based on the performance of Tenet as reflected in its Balanced Scorecard rather than the performance of the Hospital.
Minimal travel requirements. It is expected that the Hospital Compliance Officer will be active in a healthcare compliance association.