Physical Therapist Assistant Days FT Rehabilitation Institute of Michigan
- Job ID 2105011643
- Date posted 04/05/2021
- Facility DMC Rehabilitation Institute of Michigan
Under general supervision of a Physical Therapist, provides direct patient care using standard physical therapy procedures. Instructs patients and family, oversees physical therapy aides, students, and volunteers, and participates in program development and education activities. Assists Physical Therapist in patient evaluation, and assesses functional skills of patients. Provides individual patient treatment including therapeutic exercise, gait training, mat mobility, transfers and wheelchair activities. Performs prosthetic training, administers modality treatments, and measures and recommends equipment such as wheelchairs, orthoses, assistive devises and wheelchair cushions. Instructs patients and family members in wheelchair management, transfers, gait training, and home exercise programs. Participates in chart rounds, admission and discharge conferences, family conferences and team development conferences. Maintains records such as initial, interim and discharge documentation, home care program, and equipment orders and prescriptions. Prepares special reports, as requested. Receives formal supervision from a Physical Therapist to ensure all patient documentation is reviews and co-signed. Attends and contributes to organizational and program development team and departmental meetings. Supervises, instructs and evaluates physical therapy aides, students, and volunteers. Maintains current knowledge of physical therapy theory and techniques through reading, attendance at meetings and seminars, and involvement in professional organizations.
1. Associate’s degree in Physical Therapy with coursework in anatomy, biology, physiology and psychology to gain knowledge of physical therapy treatments and techniques.
2. One year of experience in a clinical setting preferred.
3. Current license to practice as a PTA in the state of Michigan.
1. Oral and written communication skills adequate for therapeutic and professional interaction.
2. Ability to position, transfer and transport patients, and operate rehabilitation equipment. Interpersonal and communication (written and verbal) skills to effectively, interact with patients, physicians and other hospital staff regarding patient care.
3. Basic knowledge and skill in common Physical Therapy practices and procedures.
4. Ability to very frequently (51-80% of working time) stand, sit, balance, stoop, kneel and reach to position and teat patients; lift, position and transport patients during treatment (very heavy – 60+ pounds); and push and pull while standing/moving to operate and transport equipment (medium 20-30 pounds).
5. Visual acuity to observe patient response to treatment (i.e.) sweat, express, dilation of pupils); ability to determine fine discriminate detail to read equipment gauges and on-line computer; manual dexterity to operate equipment.
6. Sensory ability to distinguish hot and cold during patient treatments.
Employment practices will not be influenced or affected by an applicant’s or employee’s race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), national origin, age, disability, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status or any other legally protected status. Tenet will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities unless doing so would result in an undue hardship.Tenet participates in the E-Verify program. Follow the link below for additional information.