Search Open Positions
Respiratory-ECMO Specialist Rotating Shift FT
Children’s Hospital of Michigan is an international leader in pediatric and adolescent medicine. Surgical services include general, thoracic, reconstructive and cardiovascular. Imaging technology designed specifically for children provides advanced diagnostic services including Positron Emission Tomography (PET) and MRI. The Children’s Hospital of Michigan Emergency Department is a verified Level 1 Pediatric Trauma Center and dedicated pediatric burn center. Experts in pediatric critical care, rehabilitation, and neonatal and perinatal medicine provide care for thousands of children every year at Children’s Hospital of Michigan, Children’s Hospital of Michigan - Troy and six ambulatory sites.
Under the direction of the Clinical Manager, Respiratory Care and the Chief of Pediatric General Surgery, sets up, troubleshoots and monitors patients on prolonged life support equipment, and performs the duties of a Registered Respiratory Therapist.
- Prepares the ECMO machine for placing patients on the ECMO process (i.e., the pump). Evaluates and selects equipment and supplies to be used to set-up the ECMO machine.
- Primes and safety checks equipment and assists in connecting patient to circuit. Monitors patients receiving ECMO treatment and equipment.
- Under established ECMO protocol, adjusts rates of blood and gas flow through heart-lung machine based on interpretation of patient vital signs and laboratory results; determines heparin levels in blood by measuring activated clotting times, documents information relative to patient care during ECMO and communicates patient's condition to physicians and staff.
- Assesses patient status and performs "trials off" through close monitoring (i.e., changing ventilator settings, temporarily removing patients from ECMO, addressing problems and re-establishing ECMO).
- Maintains departmental patient records and forwards appropriate information to national registry (i.e., Extracorporeal Life Support Organization).
- Continuously monitors and interprets alarms and feedback systems from ECMO circuit to maintain optimal functioning.
- Prepares and replaces critical components of the ECMO circuit when equipment malfunction occurs while patient is on ECMO.
- Performs preventive maintenance on equipment; maintains and checks for optimal functioning on a regular basis through proper servicing, safety checks, quality assurance and quality control programs.
- Assists in the development of protocols and in ECMO training of Senior Respiratory Therapists.
- Assists in conducting in-services with employees to communicate updates on ECMO and to maintain technical knowledge of equipment and procedures.
- Maintains an adequate inventory of ECMO supplies and equipment at all times.
- Orders and maintains adequate drug supply for the ECMO circuit. Assists with various research projects.
- Performs the duties described in the Senior Respiratory Therapist job description.
1. Graduation from an AMA/CoARC approved Respiratory Care program. Associates degree in Science, Allied Health or equivalent.
2. Registration by the National Board for Respiratory Care and current CHM ECMO certification.
3. Licensure to practice as a Respiratory Therapist by the State of Michigan.
4. Two to three years of experience as a Registered Respiratory Therapist. Experience in Critical Care preferred.
5. BCLS certification required. ACLS certification preferred. PALS certification preferred.
1. Technical skills necessary to operate and monitor ECMO equipment.
2. High level of interpersonal skills to communicate effectively with physicians and other medical staff, patients and families.
3. ECMO background strongly recommended and skills related to the care of critical infants on life support equipment.
4. Must be able to transport equipment and supplies.
5. Skills necessary to evaluate patient conditions and operate all respiratory therapy and bedside pulmonary function equipment.
6. Skills necessary to calculate and regulate respiratory therapy modalities.
7. Leadership skills including demonstrated willingness to pursue leadership roles with increasing levels of accountability, comfort with decision-making responsibilities, coaching, teaching and counseling skills, and the ability to inspire and build confidence in others and to forge alliances and garner support.
8. Physical stamina necessary for frequent standing, walking, and lifting and positioning of patients.
9. Excellent observational skills to judge changes in patient's condition and assess emergency situations.
10. Knowledge of regulatory standards associated with the field of Respiratory Care in the hospital (e.g., OSHA, MIOSHA, CAP, JCAHO, NFPA, ATS, CLIA, etc.).
Employment practices will not be influenced or affected by an applicant’s or
employee’s race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), national origin,
age, disability, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or
expression, veteran status or any other legally protected status. Tenet will
make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities
unless doing so would result in an undue hardship.
Tenet participates in the E-Verify program. Follow the link below for additional information.
Jobs for You
- Radiation Therapist Days PT Job ID: 2205014803-10 Date posted: 05/26/2022 Facility: DMC Sinai-Grace Hospital
- Clinical PT Specialist Days FT Sign on Bonus available Job ID: 2205030144-6 Date posted: 02/01/2023 Facility: DMC Sinai-Grace Hospital
- Registered Respiratory Therapist Day FT Sign on Bonus available Job ID: 2105043799-15 Date posted: 05/02/2022 Facility: DMC Sinai-Grace Hospital
Tenet - A Community
Built on Care.
Across the country, the Tenet family includes 110,000 employees working in more than 65 hospitals and over 475 outpatient centers. We’re all focused on delivering the right care in the right place at the right time.
At Tenet, the impact of our work spreads far and deep across the many dimensions of healthcare that we touch. Every day, our employees and physicians foster a compassionate environment for care and healing in the communities we serve. We take pride in what we do, we are passionate about our chosen path, and we take seriously the true privilege we have in serving others as a Community Built on Care.Learn About Opportunities Across Tenet