Search Open Positions
Respiratory Student Extern Days Contingent
DMC Detroit Receiving Hospital, Michigan’s first Level I Trauma Center, helped pioneer the evolution of emergency medicine and currently has one of the busiest and most well-equipped emergency departments anywhere. The first and largest verified burn center in the state is at Receiving, and it is one of only 43 in the nation. Receiving also offers the state’s leading 24/7 hyperbaric oxygen program, Metro Detroit’s first certified primary stroke center, and the nationally recognized and accredited DMC Rosa Parks Geriatric Center of Excellence.
A Respiratory Therapy Extern is defined as a person who is a full-time student in an accredited Respiratory Therapy program and works at the hospital in addition to their clinical studies. Under supervision of Registered Respiratory Therapists, the extern performs basic tasks, which have been learned in class and practiced in the School setting.
• Ensures safe and effective administration of medically prescribed medication, knowing their indications and contraindications and following the policy and procedures in administering therapeutic modalities
• Maintains accurate and appropriate documentation and departmental records
• Participates in the Continuous Quality Improvement Process for the department.
• Relates how processes that are being tracked to enhanced care given at the bedside
• Responds to arrest situations as a member of the 'code team'. Perform CPR as required
• Takes an active role in developing new ideas for process improvement and assists other personnel in data collection and interpretation
• To store, assemble and maintain equipment as needed
• Collects equipment from all the areas of the hospital and cleans and reassembles equipment according to proper procedure observing standard precautions
• Administers medication and treatments in accordance with established policies
• Reports identified unusual patient conditions/reaction to immediate supervisor
• Performs quality control on all Respiratory Care equipment to include I-STAT blood gas analyzer
• Utilizes resources efficiently and effectively
• Performs other duties as assigned
1. Must be a full-time student in good standing in an accredited Respiratory.
2. Successful completion of academic and clinical competencies, specific for each task.
3. Work experience may NOT substitute for minimum education requirement.
4. BLS Certification required.
SECOND YEAR STUDENT HIGHLY PREFERRED
1. Analytical ability to gather patient care data as it pertains to respiratory care.
2. Interpersonal skills to effectively communicate with patients and all levels of hospital staff, explaining procedures and eliciting cooperation. Diplomacy, tact and listening skills are required.
3. Observational skills necessary to monitor changes in patient’s condition and emergency situations.
4. The ability to read and comprehend procedures and technical literature in Respiratory Care is necessary.
5. Ability to operate/troubleshoot all non- critical respiratory care equipment.
6. Demonstrates willingness to make a meaningful contribution to the work environment as evidenced through behavior and attitude.
Employment practices will not be influenced or affected by an applicant’s or
employee’s race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), national origin,
age, disability, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or
expression, veteran status or any other legally protected status. Tenet will
make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities
unless doing so would result in an undue hardship.
Tenet participates in the E-Verify program. Follow the link below for additional information.
Jobs for You
- RN Neuro Brain Injury Days FT Job ID: 2205004388 Date posted: 04/21/2022 Facility: DMC Rehabilitation Institute of Michigan
- Graduate Respiratory Therapist Nights FT Job ID: 2105008896 Date posted: 06/23/2022 Facility: DMC Receiving Hospital
- Clinical Social Worker Days FT Job ID: 2205023055 Date posted: 06/23/2022 Facility: DMC Children's Hospital of Michigan
Tenet - A Community
Built on Care.
Across the country, the Tenet family includes 110,000 employees working in more than 65 hospitals and over 475 outpatient centers. We’re all focused on delivering the right care in the right place at the right time.
At Tenet, the impact of our work spreads far and deep across the many dimensions of healthcare that we touch. Every day, our employees and physicians foster a compassionate environment for care and healing in the communities we serve. We take pride in what we do, we are passionate about our chosen path, and we take seriously the true privilege we have in serving others as a Community Built on Care.Learn About Opportunities Across Tenet