Search Open Positions
Surgical Scheduler Outpatient Days FT
Children’s Hospital of Michigan is an international leader in pediatric and adolescent medicine. Surgical services include general, thoracic, reconstructive and cardiovascular. Imaging technology designed specifically for children provides advanced diagnostic services including Positron Emission Tomography (PET) and MRI. The Children’s Hospital of Michigan Emergency Department is a verified Level 1 Pediatric Trauma Center and dedicated pediatric burn center. Experts in pediatric critical care, rehabilitation, and neonatal and perinatal medicine provide care for thousands of children every year at Children’s Hospital of Michigan, Children’s Hospital of Michigan - Troy and six ambulatory sites.
Under general supervision and according to established policies and procedures, performs a variety of duties in the out-patient, surgical clinic. Establishes close working relationship with departmental physicians and personnel as well as various departments throughout the facility for coordination of co-boards and the authorization/admission process. Develops and maintains all aspects of the scheduling process to ensure optimal utilization of the physician's time and surgical block board. Finalizes all aspects of scheduling and completes all required documentation. Initiates the process of billing surgical procedures.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Communicates with department staff regarding physician schedule for distribution of surgical dates to patients at time of service; when necessary, communicates directly with patients/family the date of procedure and/or surgical preparation needs.
2. Utilizes hospital computer system to accurately enter patient data for surgical boarding process.
3. Reviews utilization of physician's O.R. block time to ensure unused blocks may be utilized by other physicians. Communicate with Boarding Office timely for release of block schedule.
4. Adjusts schedule as necessary to accommodate changes and/or cancellations and notifies patients and boarding department as appropriate.
5. Verifies patient eligibility and benefits of patient plans and assures authorizations/referrals and re-authorizations are obtained and secured timely.
6. Checks all patient information for completeness and accuracy. Finalizes O.R. schedule for the following day and distributes as appropriate.
7. Maintains records regarding surgical boarding; assists in maintenance of other records as assigned.
8. May perform a variety of additional duties such as data entry, filing, preparing reports, answering telephones, scheduling appointments, etc.
9. Maintains and/or enhances professional expertise through appropriate education and organizational activities. Keeps current on changes with insurance requirements and hospital policy and procedures.
10. Participates as a team member including mentoring new employees.
1. High school diploma or equivalent. Up to one year additional technical or specialty training, preferred.
2. Two years of previous clinical or clerical experience in a medical office /hospital; previous surgical case scheduling strongly preferred.
Employment practices will not be influenced or affected by an applicant’s or
employee’s race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), national origin,
age, disability, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or
expression, veteran status or any other legally protected status. Tenet will
make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities
unless doing so would result in an undue hardship.
Tenet participates in the E-Verify program. Follow the link below for additional information.
Jobs for You
- Security Officer I Nights FT Job ID: 2205035357 Date posted: 09/22/2022 Facility: DMC Children's Hospital of Michigan
- Security Officer I Afternoons FT Job ID: 2205035185 Date posted: 09/22/2022 Facility: DMC Children's Hospital of Michigan
- Billing Specialist Job ID: 2205023433 Date posted: 09/22/2022 Facility: DMC Medical Group
Tenet - A Community
Built on Care.
Across the country, the Tenet family includes 110,000 employees working in more than 65 hospitals and over 475 outpatient centers. We’re all focused on delivering the right care in the right place at the right time.
At Tenet, the impact of our work spreads far and deep across the many dimensions of healthcare that we touch. Every day, our employees and physicians foster a compassionate environment for care and healing in the communities we serve. We take pride in what we do, we are passionate about our chosen path, and we take seriously the true privilege we have in serving others as a Community Built on Care.Learn About Opportunities Across Tenet