Group Chief Strategy Officer, El Paso Group - El Paso, TX
Leads in development and implementation of facility business strategy
- Develops and implements strategy which leads to improvement in market share consistent with Tenet Healthcare’s mission and core values.
- Uses data to analyze market dynamics, trends and competition and implements strategies to meet market demand.
- Assesses market development strategy and industry trends as appropriate, leading to the generation of innovative ideas to improve current business plan and achieve desired results.
- Demonstrates exceptional financial management and analytical skills while leading the annual business planning process and preparing forecasts.
- Effectively advises CEO in the development and execution of short- and long-term strategies.
- Establishes and influences others to achieve goals, targets and metrics consistent with strategic and operational objectives.
- Demonstrates excellent formal presentation and interpersonal communication skills that result in understanding of, and commitment to, strategic initiatives.
- Leads senior executive team in advancing the facility’s short- and long-term strategic plans.
Aids in Service Line Development
- Identifies, evaluates, and gains consensus for development of new or expansion of current inpatient and/or outpatient services and programs based on lack of current supply, quality, growth and/or service in the market.
- Works in collaboration with hospital/department leaders to develop strategic service lines ensuring physician engagement to achieve desired results in quality, service, operations and financial metrics.
- Understands all operational components necessary to implement a new or expand a current service line, including but not limited to capital, equipment, people, education, quality metrics and costs.
- Monitors, understands and assesses service line performance by key performance indicators (volume, outcomes, market shares, etc.).
- Gathers competitive intelligence from the community on service line opportunities.
- Leads discussions with physicians, community-based facilities, local payers, providers and employers to gain information related to collaboration and support for strategic initiatives and service line development/enhancement to meet the needs of the community served.
- Work in collaboration with other Tenet and Tenet JV facilities (hospitals and USPI locations) to develop network opportunities and service line enhancements.
Works to meet community need through recruitment of physicians
- Supports Provider Outreach Program priorities, identifies outreach partners across the care continuum, and develops strategies and metrics while monitoring progress to plan (E.g., physician manpower plan, progress toward service line goals and PRM activity including reach and frequency).
- Ensures community, physician and longitudinal care partners, awareness of new initiatives and identification and remediation of service issues that may impact program development.
- Plans, organizes and directs strategies that develop physician relationships and physician manpower plans consistent with facility service line plans and community need.
- Works in collaboration with physician recruiters to fulfill community need in a manner consistent with service line requirements.
- Maintains high visibility among physician community and earns a reputation for effectively listening and leading facility change efforts that build physician loyalty and enhance the patient experience.
Analyzes data to make fact-based decisions and monitors variances to understand facility trends
- Studies internal and external data trends to realize opportunities to better serve the community.
- Identifies and vets new business opportunities based on research and analysis.
- Monitors internal data to understand the driving forces of business variables, and then implements corrective action when/where appropriate.
- Understands and demonstrates competency utilizing all data available.
Leads an effective consumer engagement plan and partners to ensure improvement in consumer experience
- Executes effective marketing plans that differentiate services based on quality, service, and/or outcomes and have measurable positive ROI.
- Leads efforts that provide consumer education around care options and collectively enhance patient experience.
- Serves on the patient advisory, physician leadership group and patient satisfaction committees.
- Leads an effective consumer engagement strategy, within budgeted guidelines, that creates differentiation and awareness in the facility’s market.
ORGANIZATIONAL LEADERSHIP - EXPECTATIONS & REQUIREMENTS:
As a leader in healthcare, Tenet is committed to providing the best possible care to every patient, with a clear focus on quality and service. Strong leadership is essential to delivering on this commitment, and we believe that the quality of our leaders can give us a significant long-term competitive advantage. We want to ensure every current and future leader in Tenet is successful, and we support that through our selection and hiring process and by providing coaching and training to our leaders.
In this regard, we have identified core competencies that will enable a leader to succeed at Tenet, and have defined them within the following five areas critical to performanceTenet CSO Core Leader Competencies
Builds Quality Relationships
Builds trust and manages conflict with key stakeholders to maintain collaborative internal and external partnerships (e.g. with staff, other departments, regional and corporate partners, physicians and the community) and engages staff in driving key decisions and initiatives.
Thoughtfully plans messages and uses a variety of methods to match communication effectively with situation and setting to engage staff and colleagues (e.g. large group, small group, 1:1).
Influences Behaviors and Outcomes
Considered a trusted advisor and functional expert who builds consensus in a collaborative way; confronting difficult business decisions in a way that preserves relationships. Inspires desired behaviors and acts as a coach to others.
Drives Organizational Performance
Translates complex strategies into focused and achievable goals and takes decisive action when needed (e.g. times of uncertainty, organizational transitions). Acts as a change leader and creates clarity, energy and commitment to initiatives by gaining buy-in and removing barriers.
Exercises Critical Judgment
Uses a fact-based, analytical, systems-thinking approach to assessing and designing solutions by gathering input from various sources and considering the impact of decisions. Practices due diligence to critically evaluates alternatives that deliver the highest quality and service while applying risk management principles to mitigate cost and maximize revenue potential.
Shapes Organizational Strategy
Builds compelling business cases and plans for strategic initiatives, creating vision, objectives, goals and specific strategies to achieve outcomes; anticipates and adjusts for obstacles. Develops and communicates progressive organizational performance strategies that achieve a competitive advantage (e.g. productivity, quality, culture, talent, internal/external volume and revenue growth).
Builds High Performing Teams
Focuses on developing talent by regularly providing performance and professional development feedback, coaching and guidance. Practices workforce planning and anticipates staffing needs and creates plans to fill key positions through focused selection methods.
Possesses the practical and technical functional knowledge and skills to be effective in their current role. Seeks continuous education, training and growth within functional role.
Understands the balanced scorecard and drives results to meet or exceed target in key department metrics. Focuses on streamlining and improving processes and effectively utilizes labor management tools to achieve budgeted staffing targets. Drives high quality in a cost conscious manner, understands key clinical components and regulatory requirements and inspires a culture of compliance.Tenet CSO Leader Behaviors
At the center of caring is empathy. Leaders connect with others and learn how to individualize care based on circumstances. Always treating all with respect while showing personal humility.
Servant leadership enables achievement of higher purpose. Always keeping those we serve at the center to provide priorities. Success that is shared will create momentum that engages all colleagues.
Always connecting people with the plan and creating positive relationships. Frequent honest communication creates an inclusive high-performance environment.
Agility in the face of continuous change defines leadership. Encouraging risk and experimentation enables people to be innovate in the face of the evolving marketplace
Leaders are inspired by curiosity and learning, seeking to develop themselves and others. They reflect on their experience and are eager to find new sources of knowledge to increase their effectiveness.
Through prioritization based on our overall aligned direction, leaders focus resources on things that are most relevant for the organization and communities served. Focusing on the future and acting without ambiguity create a climate of accomplishment.
CANDIDATE EXPERIENCE, ATTRIBUTES AND EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS
Minimum of five years of experience in Strategic Planning and Healthcare Strategy/Development is required. Experience developing complex business plans and using data to drive strategy is a must.
- Knowledge of healthcare organization and administration and of standards and laws applicable to managing strategy and planning issues with facility operations.
- Knowledge of healthcare, strategic and financial planning.
- Proven financial management skills, capable of reaching closure and timely accomplishment of objectives with a focus on P & L.
- Knowledge of principles of interactive planning, participatory management and influence management.
- Skilled at executing strategy and problem solving; asks the right questions, follows up and determines the facts, setting priorities based on business opportunity. Skilled at spotting trends and developments. Able to direct he development of business plans and proformas.
- Strong project management skills and follow-through from vision to execution, with measurable results to the bottom line.
- An individual highly motivated to work cross-functionally in order to accomplish goals and effect change. Someone skilled at uniting various constituencies to work together harmoniously to achieve high quality patient care.
- One who believes in reaching out to physicians in a unique and innovative manner. He/she strives to be inclusive with physicians on key decisions and meets frequently with physicians to ascertain their needs.
- Excellent at team building and motivating people. Able to identify the right people to execute strategic opportunities and motivate people to act whether they are peers, subordinates, physicians or administrators. Skilled at accomplishing goals through others.
- Someone who understands the dynamics and politics of a hospital environment and has the ability to navigate between disparate entities to successfully unite constituencies toward a common cause.
- An individual who is a “pre-emptive communicator” and one that strives to proactively address issues before they become problems.
- Proven ability to provide high quality, cost effective care through innovation, reputation and positive employee and physician relations.
- Excellent interpersonal skills; and a dedicated listener, comfortable in a variety of settings dealing with diverse constituencies; a broad thinker. The ability to communicate clearly and effectively both verbally and in writing.
- An individual of highest personal and professional integrity, principle and knowledge, earning respect and support when making difficult decisions and choices. Able to establish immediate credibility with peers, senior leadership, medical staff, and the Board.
- A collaborative and operational manager who will give employees a voice and encourage full participation of all team members.
- A team player, good listener and consensus builder who truly values the input of others and their contributions, and positively responds to such input.
An undergraduate degree in Business, or appropriately relevant field, is required. An advanced degree in Business, Healthcare Administration, or Public Health is strongly preferred.Compensation
A competitive compensation program will be tailored to the selected candidate. Base salary will be supplemented by a performance bonus and comprehensive, well-rounded benefits program, which includes relocation assistance.Travel
Tenet complies with federal, state, and/or local laws regarding mandatory vaccination of its workforce. If you are offered this position and must be vaccinated under any applicable law, you will be required to show proof of full vaccination or obtain an approval of a religious or medical exemption prior to your start date. If you receive an exemption from the vaccination requirement, you will be required to submit to regular testing in accordance with the law.
Employment practices will not be influenced or affected by an applicant’s or
employee’s race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), national origin,
age, disability, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or
expression, veteran status or any other legally protected status. Tenet will
make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities
unless doing so would result in an undue hardship.
Tenet participates in the E-Verify program. Follow the link below for additional information.
Jobs for You
No related jobs. View All of Our Available Opportunities
Related Content (Headline is visually hidden)
Life at Tenet
What’s it like to work at Tenet? We’re connected by a passion for making a difference in people’s lives, from patients to...Learn more about life at Tenet
Learn about the process for applying for a job at Tenet Healthcare. We want our candidates to have a great experience, a...Learn more about our process
Tenet offers a competitive benefits package for full-time and part-time employees who work more than 24 hours a week. In...Learn more about our benefits
Interested in being part of our Community Built on Care? Search opportunities for many types of jobs across the country...Learn more about our opportunities