Search Open Positions
Coding Manager - Remote
As a part of the Tenet and Catholic Health Initiatives family, Conifer Health brings 30 years of healthcare industry expertise to clients in more than 135 local regions nationwide. We help our clients strengthen their financial and clinical performance, serve their communities and succeed at the business of healthcare. Conifer Health helps organizations transition from volume to value-based care, enhance the consumer and patient healthcare experience and improve quality, cost and access to healthcare. Are you ready to be part of our solutions? Welcome to the company that gives you the resources and incentives to redefine healthcare services, with a competitive benefits package and leadership to take your career to the next step!
Manages the Coding Section of Health Information Management (HIM) and functions as a resource and facilitator for all areas of hospital coding operations. Assures compliance with CMS, AMA and AHIMA standards for ethical coding, The Joint Commission Standards, Medical Staff Bylaws, Rules and Regulations, State and Federal Guidelines and department/organizational policies and procedures.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Include the following. Others may be assigned.
- Plans, organizes and supervises the work and systems of one or more of the following Health Information Management programs:
- In Patient, Observation, Day Surgery, Emergency Department and Out Patient Coding
- Post discharge physician queries
- 3M Encoder processes
- Coding Compliance Plan
- Dissemination of coding changes and updates
- Identification of coder educational needs through continual monitoring and auditing of coder accuracy
- Continual monitoring of charts not final coded. Establish DNFC targets by patient type and coder.
- Monitor and report individual coder productivity. Coach and counsel under performers.
- Assignment and reassignment of un-coded charts to specific coders as necessary to better manage the DNFC.
- Evaluate individual coder accuracy through focused audits. Identify education needs to facilitate coding accuracy improvement.
- Review all DRG reclassifications before and after assigning correction to the coder who completed the original coding. Track and trend patterns by payer, coder, MS-DRG and physician.
- Monitor the coding compliance manual. Monitor industry publications and implement changes as necessary.
- Gives input regarding section needs in preparation of annual budget and monitors expenditures for budget compliance.
- Attend meetings within and outside the facility as needed r requested to provide input and act as a coding information resource.
FINANCIAL RESPONSIBILITY (Specify Revenue/Budget/Expense):
- Provides input regarding departmental budget specific to area of responsibility.
- Directly impacts days not final billed (DNFB), overall A/R and monthly revenue collection.
This position carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with guidelines, policies and procedures and applicable laws. Supervisory responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
- No. Direct Reports (incl. titles) Inpatient and Outpatient Coders, Coding Analyst, Coding Supervisor
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Computer training: HBOC Star; 3M Coding & Reimbursement software; SoftMed Systems; MS OFFICE; Horizon Patient Folder; Groupwise; DVI Dictation System; External Transcription Agency Systems
- Extensive knowledge of medical record documentation requirements mandated by Medical Staff Bylaws, Rules and Regulations
- State and federal regulations regarding patient confidentiality
- Excellent verbal/written communication and interpersonal skills
- Thorough/detailed knowledge of ICD-10-CM, ICD-10-PCS and CPT coding systems
- Skilled in formulating and writing statistical reports
- Skilled in performing quality assessment/analysis
- Must display strong interpersonal skills
- Works collaboratively with CDI, quality and other facility leaders
Conifer requires its candidates, as applicable and as permitted by law, to obtain and provide confirmation of all required vaccinations and screenings prior to the start of employment. This may include, but is not limited to, the COVID-19 vaccination, influenza vaccination, and/or any future required vaccines and screenings.
EDUCATION / EXPERIENCE
Include minimum education, technical training, and/or experience required to perform the job.
- Associate Degree in Health Science Administration/HIM Technology , minimum
- Bachelor’s degree, preferred
- Registered Health Information Technician (RHIT) certification
- Registered Health Information Administrator (RHIA) certification
- Minimum three years supervision of coding staff, required
- Five years of progressive management experience
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
- Required: RHIA, RHIT, CCS, CCA, CCS-P, and/or CPC-H
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Duties may require bending, twisting and lifting of materials up to 25 lbs.
- Duties may require driving an automobile to off- site locations.
- Ability to sit for extended periods of time.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Work environment is at a moderate noise level.
- Capacity to work independently in a virtual office setting or at hospital setting if required to travel for assignment.
- Works in a private office space in the coder’s home per conifer Telecommuter Policy as defined in the Telecommuting Program Guide
- Duties may require travel via, plane, care, train, bus, and taxi-cab.
Employment practices will not be influenced or affected by an applicant’s or
employee’s race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), national origin,
age, disability, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or
expression, veteran status or any other legally protected status. Tenet will
make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities
unless doing so would result in an undue hardship.
Tenet participates in the E-Verify program. Follow the link below for additional information.
Jobs for You
- Coordinator, Client Network Management (remote or in-office) / Southern CA (Los Angeles) Job ID: 2105021118 Date posted: 05/27/2022 Facility: Conifer Health Solutions
- Patient Service Center Representative II - Remote Job ID: 2205016719 Date posted: 06/24/2022 Facility: Conifer Health Solutions
- CRC Coding Auditor, RN - Remote Job ID: 2205012842 Date posted: 04/01/2022 Facility: Conifer Health Solutions
Tenet - A Community
Built on Care.
Across the country, the Tenet family includes 110,000 employees working in more than 65 hospitals and over 475 outpatient centers. We’re all focused on delivering the right care in the right place at the right time.
At Tenet, the impact of our work spreads far and deep across the many dimensions of healthcare that we touch. Every day, our employees and physicians foster a compassionate environment for care and healing in the communities we serve. We take pride in what we do, we are passionate about our chosen path, and we take seriously the true privilege we have in serving others as a Community Built on Care.Learn About Opportunities Across Tenet