Assistant Chief Financial Officer, Desert Regional Medical Center, Palm Springs, CA
The Assistant Chief Financial Officer collaborates with the facility Chief Financial Officer and assumes responsibility for the ongoing effective operation of the department by exerting a leadership role that supports the hospital, mission, vision, goals and objectives while focusing on the patient, physicians, employees, volunteers and the community as customers. The Assistant Chief Financial Officer has ongoing accountability for the continuous assessment, improvement, coordination and integration into the hospital’s financial functions. He/she is accountable for departments’ direction and coordination.
FUNCTIONAL EXPECTATIONS & REQUIREMENTS:
The Assistant Chief Financial Officer has responsibility for supporting the Chief Financial Officer in all efforts to ensure the financial viability of the hospital network by establishing and monitoring financial plans and budgets, and managing the financial affairs of the hospital network according to business unit goals, sound business practices, corporate and hospital policies, and according to various government regulatory requirements.
As such, the Assistant CFO’s responsibilities are to:
- Analyze daily operating results to ensure that revenues, expenses, and labor are within budgeted objectives; advise department heads and administration of needed changes and improvements in a timely manner.
- Establish and maintain sound financial controls and record keeping.
- Keep abreast of government regulatory requirements and the rapidly changing reimbursement environment to develop and implement changes to policies and procedures as needed.
- Ensure that the financial operations of the hospital network are carried out in an ethical, responsible manner.
- Establish and monitor the annual operating budget according to sound budgeting principles and corporate guidelines. Interface with Human Resources and other appropriate departments in the preparation of work force plans and salary and benefit proposals.
- Evaluate the hospital network’s overall financial position and prepare periodic financial and operating reports. Provide consistent and accurate financial, accounting and reporting processes throughout the network.
- Prepare financial forecasts and monitor performance versus budget; consolidate results, prepare rolling 90-day forecasts, and develop and implement cash management controls.
- Coordinate with other senior members of the leadership team in the development of major strategic and financial plans, including capital expenditure programs.
- Review, evaluate and ensure the effectiveness of all financial and accounting systems in the hospital network. Direct the development and implementation of new systems, policies and procedures as required.
- Assist in the development of new business by analyzing the feasibility of new programs and advise management of the financial prospects.
- Attend promptly to the administrative details of the position including the signing of documents, preparation of reports, completion of performance appraisals and other employee-related actions.
ORGANIZATIONAL LEADERSHIP - EXPECTATIONS & REQUIREMENTS:
As a leader in healthcare, Tenet is committed to providing the best possible care to every patient, with a clear focus on quality and service. Strong leadership is essential to delivering on this commitment, and we believe that the quality of our leaders can give us a significant long-term competitive advantage. We want to ensure every current and future leader in Tenet is successful, and we support that through our selection and hiring process and by providing coaching and training to our leaders.
In this regard, we have identified core competencies that will enable a leader to succeed at Tenet, and have defined them within the following five areas critical to performance:
Use Astute Judgment
- Delivers year over year improved financial performance in a complex, matrix organization.
- Demonstrates high degree of financial operational excellence (e.g., planning, contracts, budgeting, capital financing, and cash management).
- Holds finance team accountable to high ethical standards (e.g., compliance, internal controls, audits and SOX reporting).
- Effectively gauges external factors and trends to provide a forward-looking perspective when creating business strategy and forecasting (e.g. FTE/AADC targets, supply Cost/APD targets, EBITDA margin, A/R days, Operations cash flow goals).
- Demonstrates business and analytical skills to identify gaps in the current business plan and actively refreshes the financial outlook and strategy as needed (e.g., case management, staff/volume adjustment, net revenue management).
- Acts as full partner at facility, market and home office level in pursuit of new revenue generation opportunities (e.g., improve payer mix, maximize reimbursement, prudent acquisition and merger strategies, reduce bad debt, grow EBITDA margin).
- A highly visible leader who works with team to identify challenges and capitalize on opportunities (e.g., department improvement plans, capital project prioritization and vetting, manpower planning accuracy, supply management efficiency).
- Acts as a thought partner for administrative team and thought leader in promoting own perspective and ideas in a bold and respectful manner (e.g., cost containment, acquisition/divestiture, ACOs, physician strategies, capital forecasting, productivity improvement).
Apply Financial Insights
- Demonstrates excellence in formal and interpersonal communications that results in financial understanding and “ownership” at all organizational levels.
- Evidences collaborative leadership to engage managers and physicians in improving short- and long-term results (e.g., department improvement plans, supply inventory management, clinical informatics implementation, labor management and reporting systems).
- Acts as an intuitive thinker willing to take prudent and necessary risk to achieve balanced results (e.g., cost, growth, people, service, quality).
- Performs as a financial consultant to the facility.
Drive Organizational Success
- Establishes realistic and aggressive financial goals, targets, and metrics consistent with home office and facility strategic and operational objectives (e.g., meet upfront collection and cash goals, reduce A/R days year over year, meet 2.0 days in DNFC Gross A/R, meet HIM coding compliance accuracy for all patient types, attain HIM coding quality goals).
- Sets and maintains fiscal year pace and rigor for facility management (e.g., business planning and reporting cycle, CFO and Controller sign off on monthly balance sheet reconciliation with unresolved items less than 30 days old).
- Builds consensus and commitment across disparate people with often competing priorities.
- Continually analyzes and interprets financial performance and recommends and/or executes corrective action as needed (e.g., managed care and physician contracts, and strategic direction).
- Maintains high quality standards (e.g., oversee preparation of financial statements, reports, business plans and manpower plans; ensures optimal rating on internal audits with no Sarbanes-Oxley items; maintains and addresses monthly internal control checklist).
Develop Organizational Talent
- Shapes roles and assignments in a way that maximizes individual capability and performance contribution.
- Regularly provides performance and professional development feedback, coaching and guidance to improve performance and build career potential (e.g., all direct reports receive regular feedback and well managed development plans).
- Engages in team bench strength assessments and recruitment or promotion action plans that meet current/future talent requirements (e.g., Controllers, ACFO developed for CFO promotion readiness).
CANDIDATE EXPERIENCE, ATTRIBUTES AND EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS:
- At least five to seven years of progressive financial healthcare or equivalent experience in the areas of general accounting; operations; financial systems; financial statement preparation; review and analysis; budgeting; multi-discipline management experience; and ethics.
- Good organization skills with the ability to prioritize workload and successfully manage all financial activities. Resilience to working successfully under pressure.
- Ability to convert complex finance, operational, and compliance issues into terms and concepts that are easily disseminated throughout all levels of the organization.
- A referenceable track record in facility finance, defining the issues and making the decisions to generate improved financial performance.
- Participation, as well as supervisory experience, in negotiating managed care contracts.
- Substantial financial management experience including financial operations, strategic and financial planning, contracts, reimbursement, budgeting and capital financing in a complex environment.
- A thorough understanding of healthcare trends with the ability to anticipate opportunities.
- A cooperative approach to problem-solving with the capability of building consensus and support, working across functional lines to engage disparate resources to work together to achieve desired results.
- A broad financial thinker and team player who works well with ambiguity and is able to transfer the vision/mission of the organization into a focused financial strategy and detailed practical plan for the future.
- An intuitive thinker who generates ideas and recommends new and/or modified approaches.
- A leader who is adept managing staff and functions that operate remotely.
- An individual of highest personal and professional integrity, principle and knowledge, earning respect and support when making difficult decisions and choices. Able to establish immediate credibility with peers, senior leadership, and medical staff.
- Must listen actively and accurately, encourage input from others. Provide clear directions. Maintain an ongoing dialogue with employees to ensure continual progress.
- Someone with the ability to work collaboratively with individuals critical to the successful execution of financial tasks.
- Excellent oral and written presentation skills.
A Bachelor’s degree in Finance or Accounting is required. An MBA, MHA and/or CPA designation preferred.
A competitive compensation program will be tailored to the selected candidate. Base salary will be supplemented by a performance bonus and comprehensive, well-rounded benefits program, which includes relocation assistance.
Tenet complies with federal, state, and/or local laws regarding mandatory vaccination of its workforce. If you are offered this position and must be vaccinated under any applicable law, you will be required to show proof of full vaccination or obtain an approval of a religious or medical exemption prior to your start date. If you receive an exemption from the vaccination requirement, you will be required to submit to regular testing in accordance with the law.
Employment practices will not be influenced or affected by an applicant’s or
employee’s race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), national origin,
age, disability, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or
expression, veteran status or any other legally protected status. Tenet will
make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities
unless doing so would result in an undue hardship.
Tenet participates in the E-Verify program. Follow the link below for additional information.
Jobs for You
No related jobs. View All of Our Available Opportunities
Related Content (Headline is visually hidden)
Life at Tenet
What’s it like to work at Tenet? We’re connected by a passion for making a difference in people’s lives, from patients to...Learn more about life at Tenet
Learn about the process for applying for a job at Tenet Healthcare. We want our candidates to have a great experience, a...Learn more about our process
Tenet offers a competitive benefits package for full-time and part-time employees who work more than 24 hours a week. In...Learn more about our benefits
Interested in being part of our Community Built on Care? Search opportunities for many types of jobs across the country...Learn more about our opportunities