CPT Tech Lab Assistant Per Diem 10 Hour
- Job ID 2105000961
- Date posted 01/13/2021
- Facility Desert Regional Medical Center
Under the supervision of the Phlebotomy Supervisor, performs accurate and skilled blood collection procedures and assists both MD's and RN's with collections as indicated by staff physician orders and section standards. Conducts all related duties as a professional member of the health care team. Is responsible for policies and procedures as they relate to communication and collection of blood samples. Is responsible for adherence and enforcement of all Hospital and Laboratory policies, to include those initiated to prevent the accidental and unnecessary exposure of self, patient or other employees to blood borne pathogens and safety hazards. Total adherence to the Laboratory Compliance Plan. Understands the physiological and psychological differences created by age, sex, and abilities and applies them to the preanalytic, analytic, and postanalytic components of laboratory testing. Communicates professionally with coworkers as well as other Hospital employees. Performs job using the Hospital customer service strategy. Uses the knowledge of the job to work productively, efficiently and harmoniously. Ensures and/or performs routine maintenance of phlebotomy areas (to include patient rooms). Displays professionalism, cooperation, and supports the overall function of the section. Performs miscellaneous related duties, as well as other duties as assigned.
DEPARTMENT SPECIFIC DUTIES:
- Works accurately according to procedure manual and supervisor’s instructions.
- Verifies proper specimen/test/patient identification.
- Enters orders, documents on logs/worksheets and performs result entry within acceptable departmental limits.
- Correctly records and processes referral specimens.
- Notifies appropriate staff/clients when necessary, and documents action taken.
- Takes responsibility for completion of daily routine duties assigned to work area.
- Investigates and resolves pending and incomplete work, clerical and technical discrepancies.
- Communicates necessary information to next shift.
- Performs and records quality control, takes and documents appropriate action.
- Maintains neat, organized records and work station.
- Successfully completes training within an acceptable time?frame .
- Understands and retains knowledge of department procedures.
- Teaches and/or trains new employees according to department guidelines and documents progress.
- Troubleshoots problems with procedures, QC, and instruments.
- Successfully participates in proficiency testing.
- Correlates physiological and psychological differences created by age, sex, and abilities to appropriate components of laboratory testing.
- Assists with departmental projects and management support as needed.
- Recognizes abnormal results and/or questionable patient information; follows department protocol for resolution.
- Evaluates specimen adequacy/integrity according to departmental guidelines and optimal patient welfare.
- Investigates computer problems and resolves or reports to appropriate personnel.
- Initiates charge reconciliation when appropriate. (e.g., test not performed, etc.).
- Functions responsibly in the absence of supervisory personnel
- Demonstrates the ability to assess a situation, consider alternatives, and choose an appropriate course of action.
- Knows when to involve supervisor and/or manager.
- Minimizes waste of supplies and equipment.
- Consistently completes testing within departmental turn?around?time guidelines.
- Finishes assignments with minimal supervision and assistance from fellow employees.
- Produces acceptable quantity of work.
- Is able to organize and complete several tasks simultaneously without loss of accuracy.
- Productivity remains constant under pressures associated with the job.
- Uses available time productively contributing to Lab needs.
- Suggests and supports implementation of improvements to make department more efficient.
- Restricts personal phone calls/activities
- Performs ordering, stocking, stock rotation and cleaning as appropriate.
- Reports to work as scheduled, in accordance with hospital policy, and takes responsibility to prevent absences and tardiness.
- Demonstrates a consistently well organized approach to all activities.
- Complies with hospital policy regarding breaks and lunch periods.
- Practices appropriate safety and infection control procedures.
- Maintains clean and safe work areas.
- Supports all Lab and Hospital structural standards (i.e. policies, procedures and regulations)
- Wears photo I.D. badge at all times while on hospital property.
- Provides proper identification in personal and phone communications
- Respects the patient’s right to privacy by only discussing clinically relevant information in appropriate surrounding.
- Responds to difficult situations with self-control and positive attitude.
- Communicates with co-workers with clarity and respect
- Shares responsibilities and willingly offers assistance to co-workers.
- Recognizes and acknowledges the contribution of each department/specialty. Encourages interdepartmental communication and team-work.
- Sensitive to cultural, religious, sexual diversity
- High School Diploma or GED
- Must have and maintain current CA Phlebotomist certification (CPT1)
- Must possess excellent organizational and public relations skills.
Employment practices will not be influenced or affected by an applicant’s or employee’s race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), national origin, age, disability, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status or any other legally protected status. Tenet will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities unless doing so would result in an undue hardship.Tenet participates in the E-Verify program. Follow the link below for additional information.