Associate Administrator - Westover Hills Baptist Hospital, San Antonio, Texas
Westover Hills Baptist Hospital
Westover Hills Baptist Hospital will occupy 72 acres of land located at Wiseman and Highway 1604 in San Antonio. The campus will include medical office buildings, an ambulatory surgical center, and an acute care hospital, with the potential for additional medical and retail entities in future development phases.
Campus development is expected to begin later this year, with the intention to bring the first facilities online in advance of the hospital. Plans for a large-scale, full-service acute care hospital are expected to follow with a projected opening date in mid-2024.
The Associate Administrator has responsibility for developing management objectives and policies for the various departments and monitoring the results. He/she also interprets objectives, policies, and procedures. Further, the Associate Administrator is responsible for coordinating the activities of the assigned departments with other departments both within and outside the hospital. The Associate Administrator resolves problems with department heads concerning use of resources, as well as encourages and maintains open lines of communication with and between employee groups, other medical personnel, and patients and their family members.
The Associate Administrator has responsibility for evaluating the performance of the various departments, as well as the performance of key managers and supervisors. He/she advises employees promptly when performance problems arise or changes are needed.
Other functional requirements include:
- Establish the operating budgets for the various departments and monitor performance against budgets.
- Assist Administration with special projects and with short and long term strategic planning.
- Attend promptly to the administrative details of the position including the signing of documents, preparation of reports, completion of performance appraisals, and other employee-related actions.
- Ensure that all operations within the scope or the position are carried out in an ethical, responsible manner.
- Develop, with the help of the responsible department heads, standard operating procedures for the departments within the position’s span of control. Coordinate with other departments and medical staff as needed.
- Make final hiring and firing decisions of personnel within immediate scope of operations coordinating information with upper management and human resources according to established procedures.
- Approve expenditures to the level established by upper management.
As a leader in healthcare, Tenet is committed to providing the best possible care to every patient, with a clear focus on quality and service. Strong leadership is essential to delivering on this commitment, and we believe that the quality of our leaders can give us a significant long-term competitive advantage. We want to ensure every current and future leader in Tenet is successful, and we support that through our selection and hiring process and by providing coaching and training to our leaders.
In this regard, we have identified core competencies that will enable a leader to succeed at Tenet, and have defined them within the following five areas critical to performance:
- Establishes realistic and aggressive team/individual goals, and action plans that deliver results (e.g., tasks that lead to the renovation of patient rooms).
- Demonstrates high visibility, consistently interacting with key stakeholders to inform, advise, listen, encourage, and challenge (e.g. routinely rounds with employees, physicians, patients, etc.).
- Optimizes facility’s financial and human resources by overseeing day-to-day operations in a high quality and cost conscious manner (e.g. maintains appropriate staffing ratios, oversees throughput in ER and other high volume departments, actively manages quality initiatives, leads successful supply cost initiatives).
- Clearly understands and communicates the Balanced Scorecard metrics and targets to the organization (e.g., reviews BSC performance and builds action for lagging areas with Department Directors).
Use Astute Judgment
- Demonstrates high level complex problem solving abilities (e.g., identifies drivers of service line losses).
- Uses highly developed expertise in quantitative analyses to define and support facility goals (e.g., builds a solid financial business case for expansion of ICU).
- Understands business development and physician recruitment strategies that lead to a competitive advantage.
- Working knowledge of patient care standards reflected in federal and state regulation (e.g. JC accreditation, HCAHPS, etc.).
- Takes decisive operational action in high stakes situations or times of crisis and uncertainty (e.g., responds to local disasters, such as a hurricane).
- Promotes or asserts own position and ideas for operation improvement, quality care delivery, revenue, and volume growth (e.g., identifies and champions a new throughput process in the OR).
- Seeks and champions new ideas and initiatives that create operational/strategic advantage (e.g. forging a privileged relationship with local employers).
- Decisively confronts and resolves issues or barriers to success (e.g., actively addresses physician concerns about new clinical processes).
- Assumes CEO responsibilities in absence of CEO (i.e.. Second in command).
Apply Financial Insights
- Understands financial indicators/levels and delivers year over year improved financial performance (e.g., actively contributes to ideas that curtail cost in the facility’s business plan).
- Uses financial and productivity analysis vs. anecdotes to make decisions (e.g., continually reviews cost and productivity reports and directs efforts for improvement in targeted areas of opportunity).
Drive Organizational Success
- Builds consensus and commitment across disparate facility managers, physicians and home office staff with often competing priorities, with short and long-term goals (e.g., hosts discussions to shape and align stakeholders on MPI goals and approach).
- Engages in team bench strength assessments and recruitment or promotion action plans that meet current/future talent needs (e.g., identifies and develops/mentors younger tenure talent).
- Is an effective team member with the facility’s CEO, CFO, CNO, and DBD to pursue new growth, implement new processes, and/or address new challenges (e.g., A-Team challenge to improve HCAHPS scores).
- Provides ongoing feedback, measurement and assessment process that measure performance to plan and cause course correction for direct reports (e.g., meets with staff weekly to discuss progress on key initiatives/operations).
- Partners effectively with medical staff to continually improve the quality and level of services provided (e.g., actively participates in MEC, meets frequently with Chief of Staff).
A minimum of three years of progressively responsible hospital management experience. Ability to act as liaison between the administrative and medical staffs, Board of Directors, and external stakeholders. Ability to provide leadership to establish priorities and to develop and implement solutions.
- Highly developed expertise in quantitative analysis to support definition and advancement for the hospital’s goals and objectives.
- Ability to understand physicians’ viewpoints and needs, and work strategically in the best interest of patients and the hospital. A strong reputation for sustained, inclusive, trust-based physician relations.
- Proven success in balancing cost/quality issues and partnering with medical staff to address productivity improvements and initiatives.
- A high orientation to detail with proven analytical and financial skills.
- A team player who excels in developing team momentum, enthusiasm and pride.
- High level, complex problem solving abilities both in groups and in one-on-one situations.
- The capacity, maturity, stature and communication skills to eventually assume a more senior leadership role in a hospital system. Capable of working with staff and assisting them in their continued development, as well as enhancing their performance in a supportive team environment.
- Able to think strategically and have the communication and leadership skills to follow through on development plans.
- Ability to demonstrate effective decision-making skills based on thoughtful determination and excellent intuitive judgment.
- Excellent interpersonal skills; a skilled and dedicated listener, comfortable in a variety of settings dealing with diverse constituencies; a broad thinker. The ability to communicate clearly and effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Goal oriented individual who is fair-minded, intelligent, and able to command respect and to manage by influence.
- Ability to establish trust and to gain support when making difficult decisions and choices. High-principled and thorough, with a high energy level and a strong team orientation.
- An individual open to giving meaningful consideration to new ideas and solutions, and will seek out ways to solicit input from many sources.
- Someone with a deep understanding of the interrelatedness and interdependence of disparate hospital departments, and is committed to helping them function well together.
- One who values a collegial environment that fosters the open exchange of creative ideas and solutions.
- An individual with the ability to bring diverse constituents together toward a common goal and vision.
- An energetic, results-oriented individual, not content with the status quo. One who constantly seeks to achieve a higher level of performance.
- An individual of highest personal and professional integrity, principle and knowledge, earning respect and support when making difficult decisions and choices. Able to establish immediate credibility with peers, senior leadership, and the medical staff.
- Self-confident and assured with significant presence and charisma, but with balanced ego.
- A high-energy individual with a strong work ethic and high expectations for performance.
- Someone who delegates to others but holds them accountable and demands excellence and timely performance.
An undergraduate degree from a recognized an accredited institution is required and an MBA/MHA or equivalent is preferred.Compensation
A competitive compensation program will be tailored to the selected candidate. Base salary will be supplemented by a performance bonus and comprehensive, well-rounded benefits program, which includes relocation assistance.Travel
Tenet complies with federal, state, and/or local laws regarding mandatory vaccination of its workforce. If you are offered this position and must be vaccinated under any applicable law, you will be required to show proof of full vaccination or obtain an approval of a religious or medical exemption prior to your start date. If you receive an exemption from the vaccination requirement, you will be required to submit to regular testing in accordance with the law.
Employment practices will not be influenced or affected by an applicant’s or
employee’s race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), national origin,
age, disability, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or
expression, veteran status or any other legally protected status. Tenet will
make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities
unless doing so would result in an undue hardship.
Tenet participates in the E-Verify program. Follow the link below for additional information.
Jobs for You
No related jobs. View All of Our Available Opportunities
Related Content (Headline is visually hidden)
Life at Tenet
What’s it like to work at Tenet? We’re connected by a passion for making a difference in people’s lives, from patients to...Learn more about life at Tenet
Learn about the process for applying for a job at Tenet Healthcare. We want our candidates to have a great experience, a...Learn more about our process
Tenet offers a competitive benefits package for full-time and part-time employees who work more than 24 hours a week. In...Learn more about our benefits
Interested in being part of our Community Built on Care? Search opportunities for many types of jobs across the country...Learn more about our opportunities