Hospital Human Resources Director, Mission Trail Baptist Hospital /Resolute Health, San Antonio, Texas
The Hospital Human Resources Director (HRD) is responsible for strategic workforce plan, as well as the day-to-day HR Operations within a hospital. He/she focuses on the acquisition, development and culture of the best talent, critical drivers to achieve Tenet’s goal of becoming the best place to work in health care. The HRD proactively works with hospital leadership to manage the people metrics with the expected outcomes of minimal turnover, effectively managed SWB expense, high employee engagement, high quality patient care, and excellent experiences for all patients, visitors, physicians and employees.
FUNCTIONAL EXPECTATIONS & REQUIREMENTS:
RESPONSIBILITY/STANDARDS OF PERFORMANCE:
- Develop and execute HR strategies, programs and initiatives that directly align with the hospital business plans and strategies.
- Champion the journey toward the “best place to work in health care” by fostering a high performance culture focus that delivers high quality patient care and excellent patient experience.
- Be a valuable business partner and high performing member to the Hospital A-Team, including problem-solving, decision support and leadership development.
- Deliver core HR services including recruiting, employee relations, employee health/safety, employee learning/development, and HR legal/regulatory compliance.
- Drive efficiency in overall HR operations, including implementation of HR enterprise services, oversight of salary/wages/benefits (e.g., labor standards/staffing, contract labor, overtime, premium pay), and performance on HR operations scorecard/metrics.
- Design and implement a one to three- and three-to-seven-year workforce plan based on local and national trends and projections.
Responsible for day-to-day operations that drive low turnover, high retention, and efficient SWB within the hospital to include:
- Deliver sound selection, onboarding, and orientation activities to create positive new employment experience and reduce first-year turnover.
- Foster high employee engagement through the development of strong HR programs and team execution of engagement action plans.
- Establish effective employee recognition programs.
- Deliver timely and informative internal communications to employees.
- Oversee overall pay and labor staffing seeking opportunities to improve productivity.
- Deliver on HR KPIs and metrics.
Responsible for day-to-day operations that minimize and mitigate employer risk to include:
- Ensure compliance with all HR regulatory requirements, employment law, and Joint Commission HR standards.
- Respond to EEO complaints and prepare position statements.
- Facilitate the company’s defined FTP process.
- Direct overall employee health and occupational safety with significant input from the employee Health Nurse, Nursing, Infection Control and Infectious Disease to ensure that employees have confidence that they are provided a safe workplace.
- Ensure proper planning, response and reporting to the following agencies with respect to employee health and occupational safety: Joint Commission, OSHA, CDC, other federal, state and local agencies.
Responsible for strategic workforce planning for the hospital to include:
- Project workforce gaps considering current staff, local labor market, and national healthcare statistics, trends, and projections.
- Develop workforce strategies, including full-time/part-time/per diem mix, staffing models, and education strategies/partnerships to prepare workforce for the future.
- Participate and execute on Tenet-wide leadership development programs including talent mapping, succession planning, emerging talent programs, leadership academies, and other Tenet leadership development programs.
- Implement Tenet HR enterprise shared services.
- Deliver leadership education and development, inclusive of transitional leadership training, general leadership effectiveness, diversity and inclusion, and labor relations and employee relations.
ORGANIZATIONAL LEADERSHIP - EXPECTATIONS & REQUIREMENTS:
Use Astute Judgment
- Collaborates with corporate, regional and A-Team members to achieve business results (e.g. HR Leader call, monthly HR regional meetings) and shares best practices and successes with others
- Viewed by and sought after by leaders as an HR advisor and expert with ability to influence decision of others; trusted confidante to CEO (e.g. sought out for personal and professional advice and counsel)
- Considers impact of HR decisions on the rest of the organization and therefore communicates across the organization to create awareness and gain support for HR decisions
- Provides leadership in building loyalty, trust and commitment throughout the organization (e.g. leads and participates in employee advocacy and engagement programs, supports EES and creates action plans for improvement, leads recognition efforts for the facility)
- Uses critical thinking and influencing skills to create organizational harmony when confronting divergent positions (e.g. uses metrics and data sources to support position and listens to all positions and counters/agrees professionally and in a timely manner)
- Demonstrates business acumen when managing competing priorities (e.g. presents creative ways to address debate between budget constraints vs. need for additional resources by creating career ladders instead of changing pay practices)
Develop Organizational Talent
- Participates in workforce planning to ensure an adequate, competent and productive workforce. Create/implement programs supporting the organization’s future workforce needs (e.g. provides factual/current market position information, outlines obstacles/challenges and proposed solutions, creates annual long-term strategic workforce plan for facility, includes diversity/inclusion strategies in all aspects of business)
- Leads the talent management strategies of the facility including recruitment and retention strategies and development of integrated succession plan ensuring continuity of business operations (e.g. creates development and succession plans for all leaders)
- Effectively leads the pre-boarding, onboarding, orientation and assimilation process for new employees (e.g. ensures 30/90 day reviews are conducted)
- Leads goal setting and performance review process for facility. Conducts needs assessments and develops training and development programs to ensure goals are attained (e.g. ensures all processes are timely and accurate, development plans are created and followed up on, recommends T and D classes as needed, ensures mandated education is fulfilled without T/O due to timeliness)
- Acts as effective coach and mentor to HR staff and leaders/staff outside HR as required
Aligns the Organization
- Attends and contributes to the facility business planning process; ensures that the business plan aligns with the “people plan” as described in the HR workforce plan
- Creates, defends and implements creative/innovative cost reduction strategies for the workforce ensuring that employee engagement and recruitment and retentions strategies are not compromised
- Provides global outlook on decisions and aligns with facility business plans when managing competing priorities; delegates to others as required and holds others accountable for results as demonstrated by timely, complete and effective outcomes
- Provides timely responses to corporate and regional leadership ensuring timetables are consistently met (e.g. EAL complaints, Tenet Heroes submissions, TRIPP reports, .edu requirements, etc.)
- Consistent and timely administration and communicating of policies, regulations and legal mandates as stated by effective dates on document/policies, etc. Ensure responsible parties understand changes and any related actions
- Actively participates in and executes acquisitions and divestitures. HR lead for the facility in manpower planning, benefit and compensation transitions, all on-boarding and off-boarding , as well as RIF notifications as required
- Completes and communicates final investigative results of ER/Labor relations or EAL complaints, or reasons for delay in issuing final results, within 48 hours of receipt
- Collaborates with compensation and benefits to implement timely and effective compensation and benefit policies and programs (e.g. annual enrollment, new hire and termination requirements, wellness initiatives, etc.)
- Collaborates with legal and ethics/compliance departments on matters related to the enforcement of policies and procedures as well as Tenet’s “Standards of Conduct”; leads HR in all internal and external audits (e.g. Joint Commission, internal audits, etc.)
CANDIDATE EXPERIENCE, ATTRIBUTES AND EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS:
- Experience of at least 5 to 7 years in a top HR leadership position.
- Hospital experience is preferred.
- Demonstrated track record of driving high organizational performance and high employee engagement.
- A solid strategic thinker, with strong operational focus, good judgment and detail-oriented perspective.
- A well organized, decisive and self-directed individual with a strong ability to develop an organizational culture that fosters teamwork.
- Excellent work organization skills, ability to appropriately set priorities, and manage multiple demands.
- The ability to communicate effectively with diverse groups and to deliver high quality written and verbal presentations. Excellent oral and written presentation skills, as well as strong PC skills.
- Must listen actively and accurately, encourage input from others. Must coach and correct constructively to improve the performance of team members.
- Provide clear directions. Maintain an ongoing dialogue with employees to ensure continual progress. Bring out the best in employees.
- Interpersonally savvy, relating well to diverse groups of people throughout the organization. Able to build rapport and form constructive relationships.
- Excellent at team building and motivating people. Skilled at accomplishing goals through others. Proficient at being a teacher, mentor and coach.
- Ability to earn the trust of co-workers, maintain confidences, and put the organization’s interest above one’s self.
- A high-energy individual with a strong work ethic and high expectations for performance. A person who leads by example, and sets strong professional and personal standards for every activity.
- Someone who values employees at all levels, treating all with dignity and respect. An individual who is able to relate easily to people from all walks of life; empathetic and compassionate.
- Self-confident and assured with significant presence and charisma, but with a balanced ego.
- An individual of highest personal and professional integrity, principle and knowledge, earning respect and support when making difficult decisions and choices. Able to establish immediate credibility with peers, senior leadership, and the medical staff.
- An individual with a contagious passion for his/her work.
- BS degree in Business, HR Management or related field strongly recommended.
- Master’s degree or SPHR preferred.
A competitive compensation program will be tailored to the selected candidate. Base salary will be supplemented by a performance bonus and comprehensive, well-rounded benefits program, which includes relocation assistance.
Tenet complies with federal, state, and/or local laws regarding mandatory vaccination of its workforce. If you are offered this position and must be vaccinated under any applicable law, you will be required to show proof of full vaccination or obtain an approval of a religious or medical exemption prior to your start date. If you receive an exemption from the vaccination requirement, you will be required to submit to regular testing in accordance with the law.
Employment practices will not be influenced or affected by an applicant’s or
employee’s race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), national origin,
age, disability, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or
expression, veteran status or any other legally protected status. Tenet will
make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities
unless doing so would result in an undue hardship.
Tenet participates in the E-Verify program. Follow the link below for additional information.
Jobs for You
No related jobs. View All of Our Available Opportunities
Related Content (Headline is visually hidden)
Life at Tenet
What’s it like to work at Tenet? We’re connected by a passion for making a difference in people’s lives, from patients to...Learn more about life at Tenet
Learn about the process for applying for a job at Tenet Healthcare. We want our candidates to have a great experience, a...Learn more about our process
Tenet offers a competitive benefits package for full-time and part-time employees who work more than 24 hours a week. In...Learn more about our benefits
Interested in being part of our Community Built on Care? Search opportunities for many types of jobs across the country...Learn more about our opportunities