Hospital Chief Human Resources Officer - San Ramon Medical Center, San Ramon, CA
The Hospital Chief Human Resources Officer serves the hospital and group leadership team as strategic advisor providing high-quality consultancy on a diverse set of strategic and operational HR issues; representing specific hospital or market needs; ensuring implementation and application of agreed upon HR processes, systems, policies and programs; leads escalation and resolution of employee relation matters; lead HR functional liaison to a specific hospital or market accountable to attract, develop and retain key talent. The Hospital CHRO serves as the key liaison to “broker” the HR service delivery model ensuring appropriate support of human resource services and a solutions are provided in areas such as talent management, total rewards, talent acquisition and deployment, learning, employee relations, organization design and restructuring. He/she is accountable to ensure oversight and governance of group and hospitals HR processes, systems and policies.
FUNCTIONAL EXPECTATIONS & REQUIREMENTS:
- Consults with business leaders on critical capability and capacity gaps, short- and long-term talent needs, compensation, organization effectiveness and employee development requirements and labor management strategies.
- Partners with Hospital Operations CHRO and Tenet CoEs leaders to proactively identify and implement strategic solutions and interventions across all functional areas ensuring SLA and KPI targets are met
- Partners with external HR groups/societies to stay abreast of key industry trends and best practices
- Partners with other senior HR leaders to ensure the successful implementation and constant evolution of the HR service delivery model
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF THE ROLE:
- Acts as a point of contact to the business for all HR related services and solutions
- Plays an active business partner role in strategic meetings (budget process, strategic planning, etc.) and translates business strategies into HR initiatives
- Manages labor and productivity initiatives and actions to deliver cost improvement in areas such as overtime, premium labor, headcount efficiency and contract labor
- Acts as a catalyst to ensure the acquisition, development and performance of leading talent and partners with members of HR service delivery model to ensure sourcing, staffing and onboarding needs are met
- Builds the capability of direct reports and that of the broader HR team, identifying and supporting them through their own development and towards their career goals
- Drives the use of data analytics, and external/internal insights to design innovative HR solutions based on short- and long-term business needs
- Deploys innovative, business relevant processes and solutions that drive the business strategy, talent management agenda, people engagement and organizational effectiveness and oversee service delivery (Time / Cost / Value / Quality / Direction / Strategy) according to internal and external service level agreements
- Provides coaching to managers on how to analyze and identify solutions to drive the business and create greater organizational capability and engagement
- Drives simplification and elimination of non-value-added work in the business and identifies efficiencies and drives organizational effectiveness
- Builds capability internally and coaches senior leaders on effective talent, organizational and employee engagement strategies
- Drives culture change toward the direction of business (Understands the vision of the business, leads culture gap analysis, action plans against gaps, leverages communication tools/expertise to drive desired change) to ensure change initiative are managed in a predictable and controlled manner ensure overall objectives are achieved
- Leverages external networks to understand market trends, shape organizational strategy and apply leading practices
- Identifies the need for HR solutions and partners across HR to integrate and broker these services, overseeing and constantly improving a work-intake and contracting process to enable priorities and deliverables to emerge at enterprise, business unit and channel levels
- Other duties as assigned
ORGANIZATIONAL LEADERSHIP - EXPECTATIONS & REQUIREMENTS:
Use Astute Judgment
- Collaborates with corporate, regional and A-Team members to achieve business results (e.g. HR Leader call, monthly HR regional meetings) and shares best practices and successes with others
- Viewed by and sought after by leaders as an HR advisor and expert with ability to influence decision of others; trusted confidante to CEO (e.g. sought out for personal and professional advice and counsel)
- Considers impact of HR decisions on the rest of the organization and therefore communicates across the organization to create awareness and gain support for HR decisions
- Provides leadership in building loyalty, trust and commitment throughout the organization (e.g. leads and participates in employee advocacy and engagement programs, supports EES and creates action plans for improvement, leads recognition efforts for the facility)
- Uses critical thinking and influencing skills to create organizational harmony when confronting divergent positions (e.g. uses metrics and data sources to support position and listens to all positions and counters/agrees professionally and in a timely manner)
- Demonstrates business acumen when managing competing priorities (e.g. presents creative ways to address debate between budget constraints vs. need for additional resources by creating career ladders instead of changing pay practices)
Develop Organizational Talent
- Participates in workforce planning to ensure an adequate, competent and productive workforce. Create/implement programs supporting the organization’s future workforce needs (e.g. provides factual/current market position information, outlines obstacles/challenges and proposed solutions, creates annual long-term strategic workforce plan for facility, includes diversity/inclusion strategies in all aspects of business)
- Leads the talent management strategies of the facility including recruitment and retention strategies and development of integrated succession plan ensuring continuity of business operations (e.g. creates development and succession plans for all leaders)
- Effectively leads the pre-boarding, onboarding, orientation and assimilation process for new employees (e.g. ensures 30/90 day reviews are conducted)
- Leads goal setting and performance review process for facility. Conducts needs assessments and develops training and development programs to ensure goals are attained (e.g. ensures all processes are timely and accurate, development plans are created and followed up on, recommends T and D classes as needed, ensures mandated education is fulfilled without T/O due to timeliness)
- Acts as effective coach and mentor to HR staff and leaders/staff outside HR as required
Aligns the Organization
- Attends and contributes to the facility business planning process; ensures that the business plan aligns with the “people plan” as described in the HR workforce plan
- Creates, defends and implements creative/innovative cost reduction strategies for the workforce ensuring that employee engagement and recruitment and retentions strategies are not compromised
- Provides global outlook on decisions and aligns with facility business plans when managing competing priorities; delegates to others as required and holds others accountable for results as demonstrated by timely, complete and effective outcomes
- Provides timely responses to corporate and regional leadership ensuring timetables are consistently met (e.g. EAL complaints, Tenet Heroes submissions, TRIPP reports, .edu requirements, etc.)
- Consistent and timely administration and communicating of policies, regulations and legal mandates as stated by effective dates on document/policies, etc. Ensure responsible parties understand changes and any related actions
- Actively participates in and executes acquisitions and divestitures. HR lead for the facility in manpower planning, benefit and compensation transitions, all on-boarding and off-boarding , as well as RIF notifications as required
- Completes and communicates final investigative results of ER/Labor relations or EAL complaints, or reasons for delay in issuing final results, within 48 hours of receipt
- Collaborates with compensation and benefits to implement timely and effective compensation and benefit policies and programs (e.g. annual enrollment, new hire and termination requirements, wellness initiatives, etc.)
- Collaborates with legal and ethics/compliance departments on matters related to the enforcement of policies and procedures as well as Tenet’s “Standards of Conduct”; leads HR in all internal and external audits (e.g. Joint Commission, internal audits, etc.)
Drive Organizational Success
- Strategically develops and executes creative initiates to increase participation in the annual employee engagement survey; takes the lead in creating and driving facility action plans to completion through focus groups, training and development, etc.
- Actively works to improve the delivery and execution of HR programs and processes to increase operational effectiveness and efficiencies. Plans seamless transitions ensuring minimal disruption of workplace
- Understands and articulates HR policy, procedures, and protocols and is able to defend and support organization’s position relative to same and confidently communicate changes
- Works with A-Team members to collaborate and deliver cross-functional programs and processes (e.g. cost reduction strategies, quality and volume related incentive programs, etc.)
- Leads and is held accountable for the “People Pillar” initiatives for the facility; actively participates in hardwiring and delivering retention strategies for the facility (e.g. leads TRIPP programs including bi-weekly calls as required)
CANDIDATE EXPERIENCE, ATTRIBUTES AND EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS:
- At least 10 years’ experience in providing Human Resources services, solutions, and leadership in roles of different levels of size, complexity, business model maturity, etc.
- Partnering with business leaders to develop, design, and implement relevant strategic human resources strategies.
- Ability to manage and develop senior HR functional and leadership capability.
- Led organization design, restructuring, and strategic workforce planning initiatives.
- Has successfully led complex and system-wide organizational change that is a result of operating model transformation, business startup, mergers and acquisitions, business consolidation, etc.
- Experience in creating and enhancing organizational culture through organizational effectiveness and development strategies that deliver higher levels of employee engagement, commitment, and satisfaction.
- Highly skilled in executing “generalist” HR core processes in areas such as talent management, talent acquisition, employee relations, compensation, performance management, employee assessment and development, succession planning, and organizational development.
- Diverse background in multiple industries and/or operating units within the same organization.
PROFESSIONAL AND PERSONAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITY REQUIREMENTS:
- Skillful at influencing senior leaders and diverse perspectives towards common goals.
- Able to surgically analyze and diagnose business and people performance, organizational climate, and culture and use data to create insights that drive higher thinking and outcomes.
- Ability to effectively balance enterprise and business-specific requirements through high-quality HR business partnering, superior consultative skills, and knowledge of the business.
- Developed, led, and implemented organization and functional change management strategies, initiatives, and processes.
- Ability to identify, develop and retain high-quality talent balancing multiple engagement and reward levers to deliver overall individual and organization value and capability.
- Ability to effectively manage a budget, interpret a P&L, understand key business drivers, and has solid cost-benefit trade-off analysis and planning skills.
- Ability to manage multiple priorities and initiatives keeping all in balance and delivering within cost, timing, change impact expectations.
- Strong organization planning, critical thinking, and prioritization skills.
- Ability to inspire and motivate all levels of the HR organization from the frontline to senior HR professionals.
- Ability to develop a strategy that can be translated into clear, concise, and actionable initiatives and action plans.
- Demonstrates strong courageous leadership skills in the ability to make balanced, difficult, and complex decisions in the face of opposition.
Bachelor’s degree in Human Resource Management or related field required.
Master’s degree in Human Resources or related field (preferred).
A competitive compensation program will be tailored to the selected candidate. Base salary will be supplemented by a performance bonus and comprehensive, well-rounded benefits program, which includes relocation assistance.
Tenet complies with federal, state, and/or local laws regarding mandatory vaccination of its workforce. If you are offered this position and must be vaccinated under any applicable law, you will be required to show proof of full vaccination or obtain an approval of a religious or medical exemption prior to your start date. If you receive an exemption from the vaccination requirement, you will be required to submit to regular testing in accordance with the law.
Employment practices will not be influenced or affected by an applicant’s or
employee’s race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), national origin,
age, disability, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or
expression, veteran status or any other legally protected status. Tenet will
make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities
unless doing so would result in an undue hardship.
Tenet participates in the E-Verify program. Follow the link below for additional information.
Jobs for You
No related jobs. View All of Our Available Opportunities
Related Content (Headline is visually hidden)
Life at Tenet
What’s it like to work at Tenet? We’re connected by a passion for making a difference in people’s lives, from patients to...Learn more about life at Tenet
Learn about the process for applying for a job at Tenet Healthcare. We want our candidates to have a great experience, a...Learn more about our process
Tenet offers a competitive benefits package for full-time and part-time employees who work more than 24 hours a week. In...Learn more about our benefits
Interested in being part of our Community Built on Care? Search opportunities for many types of jobs across the country...Learn more about our opportunities