Med Lab Scientist Fulltime Nights
Responsible for the processing of laboratory specimens and reporting of results in all areas of the clinical laboratory. Maintains laboratory records. Follows laboratory policies and procedures; maintains quality control practices in the laboratory. Age groups that are served by this position include neonates, infants, pediatrics, adolescents, adults and adult geriatrics.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES
- Ability to function in all areas of the clinical laboratory: blood bank, chemistry, hematology, microbiology, serology/immunology and urinalysis.
- Responsible for performing moderate and high-complexity testing.
- Alters or adjusts methods and procedures for the neonate, pediatric, adolescent, adult and geriatric patient.
- Performs quality control procedures and instrument checks.
- Demonstrates knowledge of expected lab values for the neonate, pediatric, adolescent, adult and geriatric patient.
- Notifies nursing unit and/or physician of critical lab values.
- Maintains accurate laboratory records on procedures performed for statistics and billing.
- Meets current documentation standards and policies.
- Interacts professionally with the Director of Clinical Laboratory, Pathologist and clinical laboratory personnel.
- Consults with other departments, as appropriate, to collaborate in patient care and performance improvement activities.
- Performs all aspects of patient care in an environment that optimizes patient safety and reduces the likelihood of medical/health care errors.
- Follows standard precautions at all times.
- Manages and operates laboratory equipment safely and correctly.
- Demonstrates knowledge of new testing methods, products, instrumentation; remains informed on all current technologies.
- Maintains current knowledge of hospital policy, CAP, JCAHO, state and other regulatory requirements.
- Demonstrates the ability to be flexible, organized and function under stressful situations.
- Demonstrates the value of team concept on a consistent basis.
- Reports to work on time and as scheduled, completes work within designated time.
- Adheres to scheduling requests of the department (Works weekends, no “special days off”, no exceptions).
- Adheres to the Customer Service Standards of TRMC Sunnyvale while representing the organization in a positive and professional manner.
- Communicates the mission, ethics and goals of the facility, as well as the focus statement of the department and complies with all organizational policies regarding ethical business practices.
- Utilizes computerized punch time system correctly.
- Completes annual education requirements and maintains regulatory requirements.
- Adheres to dress code, appearance is neat and clean and wears identification while on duty.
- Completes in-services and returns in a timely fashion and has not missed any mandatory in-services.
- Attends at least 8 staff meetings annually, is responsible for information presented at monthly staff meetings that he/she is unable to attend.
- Actively participates in performance improvement and continuous quality improvement (CQI) activities.
- Bachelor’s Degree from an approved college or university and/or graduate of an accredited school of medical technology, or equivalent such as military training as defined by 42 CFR 493.1489. Personnel who, prior to 2/28/92 have qualified at the Medical Technologist level by achieving a satisfactory grade on a HHS examination. The above meets required criteria as defined by CLIA regulations for High Complexity testing (42 CFR 493.1489, Jan. 24, 2003).
- 2 years as a medical technologist in acute care facility, OR 1 year as a medical technologist in acute facility and a Master's degree.
- Registered in accordance with an approved certifying agency (ASCP, NCA, AMT or CSMLS). Equivalency evaluation by NACES or AICE for non-US trained personnel must be completed within 30 days of hire. Licensure, as required by State.
- Ability to effectively communicate in English, both verbally and in writing.
- Additional languages preferred.
- Basic computer knowledge.
- Operates the following equipment correctly and safely: microscopes, centrifuges, hematology, chemistry, and other instrumentation.
- For physical demands of position, including vision, hearing, repetitive motion and environment, see following description.
Employment practices will not be influenced or affected by an applicant’s or
employee’s race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), national origin,
age, disability, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or
expression, veteran status or any other legally protected status. Tenet will
make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities
unless doing so would result in an undue hardship.
Tenet participates in the E-Verify program. Follow the link below for additional information.
Jobs for You
No related jobs. View All of Our Available Opportunities
Related Content (Headline is visually hidden)
Life at Tenet
What’s it like to work at Tenet? We’re connected by a passion for making a difference in people’s lives, from patients to...Learn more about life at Tenet
Learn about the process for applying for a job at Tenet Healthcare. We want our candidates to have a great experience, a...Learn more about our process
Tenet offers a competitive benefits package for full-time and part-time employees who work more than 24 hours a week. In...Learn more about our benefits
Interested in being part of our Community Built on Care? Search opportunities for many types of jobs across the country...Learn more about our opportunities