Respiratory Therapist PRN Days
Under the supervision of the Cardiopulmonary Services Medical Director and Department Director, the Pract, Respiratory Care is responsible for providing cardiopulmonary care services in accordance with specific physician’s orders, department policies and procedures. Clients served are predominately adults and geriatrics, but adolescents/pediatrics and neonate/infants will occasionally be treated.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Essential Job Duties
- Maintains knowledge of the various methods of oxygen delivery, including the necessary equipment. Remains alert, assesses possible side effects to oxygen delivery.
- Administers respiratory therapy treatments, understands the purpose of each and the possible side effects associated with each.
- Sets-up and monitors mechanical ventilators and the associated critical care duties required for such treatment, such as airway management and tracheal suctioning.
- Able to assess patient pain interfering with optimal level of function or participation in rehabilitation - makes appropriate physician contact for intervention.
- Performs Pulmonary Function tests. Completes report file, sends reports to physicians who requested them and files reports in department, according to department procedures.
- Performs arterial punctures to obtain arterial blood samples for blood gas analysis, and understands the possible complications and contraindications associated with the procedure.
- Operates, manages and maintains arterial blood gas equipment safely and correctly.
- Follows departmental equipment sterilization procedures.
- Documents all pertinent data on the patient’s medical record following completion of any service.
- Maintains a thorough knowledge of all departmental forms, flow charts, log books and their proper usage.
- Performs all duties as outlined in the “Shift Responsibilities” section for the shift that the therapist works.
- Performs all additional duties as assigned by the department director.
- Performs EKGs, completes report file, sends reports to physicians who requested them and files reports in department, according to department procedures.
- Demonstrates knowledge and understanding of the differences in techniques and treatment modalities as performed on patients of varying ages, including neonate, pediatric, adolescent and geriatric patients.
- Demonstrates knowledge and understanding of oxygen concentrations and medication doses as they relate to patients of varying ages, including neonate, pediatric, adolescent and geriatric patients.
- Performs all aspects of patient care in an environment that optimizes patient safety and reduces the likelihood of medical/health care errors.
- Manages and operates equipment safely and correctly. Inspects and tests respiratory therapy equipment to ensure that it is functioning safely and efficiently
- Formulates a teaching plan based on identified learning needs of a patient and evaluates effectiveness of learning, Patient’s family is included in teaching as appropriate.
- Treats patients and their families with respect and dignity. Coordinates and directs patient care to ensure patients’ needs are met and that hospital policy is followed.
- Demonstrates ability to assess patient, his/her need, and ability to tolerate treatment and reassessment for response to treatment.
- Attends education in service programs to maintain professional competency. Obtains appropriate hospital-specific education and training.
- Reports to work on time and as scheduled, completes work within designated time.
- Adheres to scheduling requests of the department (Works weekends, no “special days off”, no exceptions).
- Adheres to the Customer Service Standards of Baylor Scott & White - Sunnyvale while representing the organization in a positive and professional manner.
- Communicates the mission, ethics and goals of the facility, as well as the focus statement of the department and complies with all organizational policies regarding ethical business practices.
- Utilizes computerized punch time system correctly.
- Completes annual education requirements and maintains regulatory requirements.
- Adheres to dress code, appearance is neat and clean and wears identification while on duty.
- Completes in-services and returns in a timely fashion and has not missed any mandatory in-services.
- Attends at least 8 staff meetings annually, is responsible for information presented at monthly staff meetings that he/she is unable to attend.
- Actively participates in performance improvement and continuous quality improvement (CQI) activities.
- Current State of Texas Respiratory Therapist Licensure.
- Must have a minimum degree of certification (CRT) and be RRT eligible. Must obtain RRT credentials within six months of hire date.
- Current BLS certification required at hire date. ACLS, and PALS certifications required within six months of hire date.
- Three or more years of previous experience preferred in all aspects of cardiopulmonary services.
- Able to communicate effectively in English, both verbally and in writing.
- Additional languages preferred.
- Strong written and verbal skills.
- Basic computer knowledge.
- Ability to use ABG machine, ventilators, IPPB, EKG, treadmills, bedside PF screeners.
- Ability to perform chest PT.
- For physical demands of position, including vision, hearing, repetitive motion and environment, see following description.
Employment practices will not be influenced or affected by an applicant’s or
employee’s race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), national origin,
age, disability, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or
expression, veteran status or any other legally protected status. Tenet will
make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities
unless doing so would result in an undue hardship.
Tenet participates in the E-Verify program. Follow the link below for additional information.
Jobs for You
No related jobs. View All of Our Available Opportunities
Related Content (Headline is visually hidden)
Life at Tenet
What’s it like to work at Tenet? We’re connected by a passion for making a difference in people’s lives, from patients to...Learn more about life at Tenet
Learn about the process for applying for a job at Tenet Healthcare. We want our candidates to have a great experience, a...Learn more about our process
Tenet offers a competitive benefits package for full-time and part-time employees who work more than 24 hours a week. In...Learn more about our benefits
Interested in being part of our Community Built on Care? Search opportunities for many types of jobs across the country...Learn more about our opportunities