MetroWest Medical Center is the largest community health care system between Worcester and Boston. MetroWest Medical Center is committed to providing high quality, comprehensive care, at a location close to home. The 307-bed regional healthcare system includes Framingham Union Hospital, Leonard Morse Hospital in Natick and the MetroWest Wellness Center. MetroWest Medical Center has been named to the 2018 America’s 100 Best Hospitals List by Healthgrades.
GENERAL SUMMARY: Under general supervision of a Nurse Manager and according to established Hospital and nursing department policies and procedures, the Unit Secretary performs a variety of duties including compiling, transcribing, preparing, and maintaining records in a specific nursing area or unit. Provides information and communication services to visitors and staff. Assists nursing staff in maintaining efficient and effective operations on the unit.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Transcription: A. Accurately transcribes physician orders and notifies the appropriate nursing staff. Initiates and maintains patient care Kardex. Recopies MAR (Medication Administration Record) forms. B. Enters and coordinates computer data on all patients in the unit.
2. Communication / Coordination: A. Coordinates with other Hospital departments, such as Radiology, Housekeeping, Laboratories, Social Services, etc. to request and obtain supplies and services. Works with nursing staff to coordinate patient transfers to and from the unit. B. Serves as the unit's communication person, answering phone calls, taking and relaying messages. Answers questions of visitors, physicians, or other departments in person or by phone. Initiates emergency protocol under the direction of a physician or nurse. C. Receives and directs visitors and family members. Provides routine information regarding Hospital and unit procedures.
3. Chart / Record Maintenance:
A. Initiates, maintains, and updates patient charts, inserting appropriate forms, ancillary department reports, consults, etc.
B. Rearranges order of charts for medical records when patient is discharged. Ensures that charts for transfer patients are copied prior to transfer to other facilities.
4. Unit Management Assistance:
A. Ensures that the unit is adequately stocked with necessary supplies and equipment. Completes appropriate requisitions and/or charge slips, obtaining proper approvals.
B. Functions as resource person and trouble shooter for computer related issues for the unit. Accesses patient data for nursing and medical staff as needed.
C. Maintains work area on nursing unit in a neat and orderly condition.
5. Orientation: A. Assists with orientation of new employees to the functioning of the nursing station and the transcription of orders. Performs other duties as required or directed.
Excellent computer skills; MediTech preferred Knowledge of medical terminology Experience in an administrative capacity in an acute care setting
Great interpersonal skills; ability to work well with patients, visitors, medical staff, physicians
Primary Location: Framingham, Massachusetts
Facility: MetroWest Framingham Union Hospital
Job Type: PT2Y
Shift Type: Days
Employment practices will not be influenced or affected by an applicant’s or employee’s race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), national origin, age, disability, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status or any other legally protected status. Tenet will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities unless doing so would result in an undue hardship.
Tenet participates in the E-Verify and Work Opportunity Tax Credit (WOTC) programs. Follow the links below for additional information.