MetroWest Medical Center is the largest community health care system between Worcester and Boston. MetroWest Medical Center is committed to providing high quality, comprehensive care, at a location close to home. The 307-bed regional healthcare system includes Framingham Union Hospital, Leonard Morse Hospital in Natick and the MetroWest Wellness Center. MetroWest Medical Center has been named to the 2018 America’s 100 Best Hospitals List by Healthgrades.
GENERAL SUMMARY: Working with and assisting the Charge Nurse in care of psychiatric patients.Care consists and is not limited to assisting with ADLs, obtaining vitals, 1:1 psychiatric watches, overall support and care of psychiatric patients.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Functions as a milieu therapist to assigned patients, including collaborating with the nurse and Social Worker to determine a milieu treatment approach, functioning as an active member of the multidisciplinary team. Incorporates knowledge of each patient's condition and application of various therapeutic techniques.
2. Collaborates with other ER staff in on-going assessment of patient's mental status and well being. Initiates and maintains a therapeutic relationship with patients. Assists and collaborates on various aspects of milieu environment to provide a therapeutic experience for patients. Collaborates with other ER staff members to determine whether a patient represents a risk to himself/herself and/or others. Works with other unit personnel with crisis intervention techniques. Ability to work with other unit personnel communicating overall safety of patient.
3.Provides supportive care to patients, such as participating in conversation, recreational activities, and basic living activities. This may include assisting patients with bathing, eating, and other daily living activities. Assists and/or obtains vitals on patients. Taking of blood (if trained) or we will train. Assists with and covers 1:1’s on patients who need safety watches. Sets limits, confronts counterproductive activities and behavior, and reassures and orients patients. Encourages and facilitates appropriate interactions between patients.
4. Records all appropriate information on patient charts; prepares regular reports describing each patient's mental status and functioning, as well as significant interactions. Reports and documents overt, covert, verbal, and non-verbal communications by patients.
5. Cases referred for inpatient admissions will be coordinated with accepting service with a goal to maximize census at all times. Works closely with Referral and Admissions Departments which accepts all patients from the ER; assists in completing all paperwork to ensure a smooth transition for the patient. Will work closely with the Social Worker evaluating the patient when needed.
KNOWLEDGE, EXPERIENCE AND OTHER JOB REQUIREMENTS:
Bachelor's Degree in Psychology or a related field or three to five years' experience in Behavioral Health.
1. Patient care environment. Periodic risk from combative or abusive patients; occasionally may assist with moving or lifting elderly or handicapped patients or with applying restraints.
2. Regular walking and standing during normal course of duties. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed by people assigned this job. They are not an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, knowledge, skills and abilities associated with the job.
Job: Behavioral Tech
Primary Location: Natick, Massachusetts
Facility: MetroWest Leonard Morse Hospital
Job Type: PT2Y
Shift Type: Rotate
Employment practices will not be influenced or affected by an applicant’s or employee’s race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), national origin, age, disability, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status or any other legally protected status. Tenet will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities unless doing so would result in an undue hardship.
Tenet participates in the E-Verify and Work Opportunity Tax Credit (WOTC) programs. Follow the links below for additional information.