Market Chief Medical Officer - Massachusetts - Worcester, MA
The Market Chief Medical Officer reports directly to the Market Chief Executive Officer of the Massachusetts Market and has a matrix relationship and accountability to the Chief Clinical Operations Officer of Tenet Healthcare Corporation.
The Market Chief Medical Officer will serve as the hospital Marketing’s Senior Executive Clinical Leader responsible for assuring: continuous improvement in safety and quality, partnership with Case Management and Nursing to improve patient throughput, improvement of patients’ clinical outcomes, and
successful operation of medical staff functions.
The Market CMO serves as the liaison and resource to management on matters pertaining to four key areas:
- Quality, Patient Safety and Experience: assuring performance on quality metrics and securing patient safety and experience;
- Throughput: Partnering with Nursing and Case Management to reduce the excess length of stay by removing barriers to discharge (e.g., calling consultants, reviewing charts and orders), diagnosing the top three barriers to earlier discharges each day, and working with the Physician Advisors to maximize documentation integrity ;
- Partnering with Hospitals’ Chief Nursing Officers to provide seamless clinical leadership.
FUNCTIONAL EXPECTATIONS & REQUIREMENTS:
The Market Chief Medical Officer provides leadership and involvement in all initiatives and concerns involving patient safety, quality, and infection control and risk management and patient service, especially those related to physician issues.
Other key accountabilities include the following:
- Leadership and involvement in initiatives involving patient safety, quality, infection control and risk management and patient service, especially those related to physician issues.
- Responsible for assuring a robust credentialing and peer review process, ensuring issues on the part of the medical staff are addressed fairly and timely.
- Active participation in the Physician Advisor program including monitoring of the appropriateness of procedures, admissions and utilization of resources.
- Oversight of other Medical Directors at the hospital and evaluation of their job performance in addition to collaboration with the Hospital Compliance Officer regarding physician issues that involve regulatory compliance.
- Assist with issues regarding compliance with Federal and State law and accrediting and licensing agencies.
- Integrates departmental services with the organization’s primary functions and coordinates with other departments/services in a manner that fosters a collaborative environment for teamwork.
- Models and provides leadership for delivery of excellent customer service and ensures the successful implementation of effective strategies and approaches.
- Leads efforts that will establish the hospitals as a top performer as defined by externally reported measures of performance, e.g. CMS’ Value Based Purchasing Program.
- Serves as a resource for the vetting, development and implementation of related activities within Tenet and promotes standardization such as the Tenet Operating System.
- Works with physicians and administration to identify key market drivers and develop plans and strategies to address trends and future business development efforts.
- Provides leadership and fosters alignment of physicians and physician services within the hospital’s strategic plan and clinical program priorities.
- In partnership with Communications, develops and implements physician communication strategies that inform, promote information exchange, and socialization.
- Provides service, guidance, and promotion of quality standards through audits, peer review, quality management, and education initiatives.
- Promotes information sharing, benchmarking, and best practice identification across the system.
- Addresses efforts to improve and expand resident, fellow and medical student education at the hospital.
- In cooperation with the Physician Advisor, works with Medical Records and Medical Staff on coding/quality issues and the use of principal, co-principal, and secondary diagnoses.
- Addresses patient family provider grievances and follows up on successful resolution.
- Plays a key role in decision-making processes regarding new procedures/devices being planned by various members of the Medical Staff and assists in the development of clinical and business plans for the hospitals.
- Promotes and supports the Medical Staff Ethics Committee.
- Assists in updating physician recruitment plan and oversees physician recruitment visits.
- Monitors physician resources consumption and supports the development and implementation of standards for equipment, supplies, procedures and technology utilization.
- Reviews and makes recommendations on physician-requested capital budget items.
- Performs other related duties as assigned or requested.
ORGANIZATIONAL LEADERSHIP - EXPECTATIONS & REQUIREMENTS:
As a leader in healthcare, Tenet is committed to providing the best possible care to every patient, with a clear focus on quality and service. Strong leadership is essential to delivering on this commitment, and we believe that the quality of our leaders can give us a significant long-term competitive advantage. We want to ensure every current and future leader in Tenet is successful, and we support that through our selection and hiring process and by providing coaching and training to our leaders.
In this regard, we have identified core competencies that will enable a leader to succeed at Tenet, and have defined them within the following five areas critical to performance:
- Demonstrated management, leadership and executive capabilities
- Results driven
- Identifies opportunities
- Sets goals & targets
- Holds to personal & team accountability
- Demonstrates persistence
- Leads organizational change
- Focuses on driving value
- Pursues innovation
- Appropriate risk taking
- Catalyst for change
- Overcomes resistance
- Problem solving capabilities
- Demonstrates effective decision-making capability
- Analyzes information
- Involves others
- Takes decisive action
- High emotional intelligence
- Strong strategic planning skills and effective in leading multidisciplinary teams in the execution of strategic initiatives
- Demonstrates strategic influence
- Formulates effective strategy
- Demonstrates value and business case for quality
- Achieves organizational alignment around strategic priorities
- Effective communication skills
- Capable and compelling organizational clinical spokesperson
- Effective presentation skills
- Oral and written skills that are clear, concise and exert influence
- Talent development capabilities (build a team, communicate a vision and produce results)
- Effective coach & mentor
- Active listener
- Pursues and cultivates partnerships
- Inspires passion and builds high performing teams
- Clinical expertise and strong track record as a practicing physician
- Demonstrates knowledge of medical practice
- Remains current on emerging medical issues
- Clear understanding of medical practice standards
- Supports local medical staff governance in physician credentialing, privileging and peer review processes
- Clinical leadership in patient safety, quality and performance excellence
- Drives the principles of high reliability throughout the organization
- Has expert knowledge of quality, process and performance improvement methodologies
- Demonstrates project management capabilities
- Applied knowledge of information systems, data tools and resources
- Demonstrates proficiency in clinical information systems and informatics
- Identifies, communicates, utilizes, and improves key performance metrics
- Analyzes, interprets, synthesizes, and presents data effectively
- Demonstrates knowledge and skill in application of evidence-based care, clinical standards and order sets
- Demonstrates understanding of financial systems, reimbursement mechanisms, legal and regulatory issues
- Knowledge of TJC accreditation standards and process
- Working knowledge of healthcare payment, insurance, reimbursement, cost and economics.
- Provides clinical perspective on medico-legal matters
- Demonstrates knowledge of managed care and healthcare policy issues
- Drives clinical integration and alignment
- Works effectively with medical staff along the entire continuum of physician clinical integration (affiliate through employed physicians)
- Supports hospital leadership in the development, implementation and maintenance of effective physician leadership groups (PLGs)
- Partners with elected medical staff leaders and other clinical thought leaders to ensure alignment of organizational strategic priorities and goals
- Establishes effective internal and external relationships
- Cultivates working relationships across the organization based on trust and transparency
- Develops an external network across the medical community and healthcare industry
- Maintains high levels of professionalism, credibility and respect amongst diverse groups of stakeholders
CANDIDATE EXPERIENCE, ATTRIBUTES AND EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS:
- A demonstrated track record of superior performance in physician leadership roles; a background should have been gained ideally in a health system or major medical group that is recognized for excellence in clinical care and contemporary medical management practices. The successful candidate will be recognized for knowledge in clinical process improvement.
- Business skills in planning, use of information systems, financial management, budgeting, reimbursement and managed care, healthcare economics, medical practice management, human resources management and team building, program development, community education, and marketing/referral base development.
- Clinical leadership skills in quality and utilization management, clinical effectiveness and outcomes, clinical staff development, case management, clinical protocol development, and solid knowledge of TJC accreditation processes.
- Demonstrated knowledge of managed care and health policy in addition to superior clinical competence and track record as a practicing physician.
- Significant understanding of and experience with performance improvement and quality management programs.
- Effective communication skills and an individual who is able to quickly synthesize, as well as apply, new information in order to make effective decisions.
- A strong leader who is open to change and adapts to new conditions or unexpected obstacles, and works efficiently under adversity and through difficult transitions.
- Ability to build a team and produce strategic and operating results while balancing interests of multiple stakeholders and customers at a large, complex facility in a regional or corporate role.
- Capable of identifying and successfully managing core issues amongst a multitude of information and open to executing new and innovative approaches to problem resolution.
- An individual who has successfully driven initiatives that require coordination from multiple constituencies such as human resources, finance, information systems, lab, and pharmacy.
- A collaborative leader who will inspire confidence and establish a sense of common direction and vision for the medical staff.
- An individual with high personal and professional integrity.
- Sensitive to the proper concerns of the staff, but able to appropriately balance these concerns with the overall institutional goals.
- Committed to the highest quality of patient care.
- An M.D. or D.O. degree is required and an MBA, or other advanced management degree, is preferred.
- A Medical License in the applicable state is also required.
- Certification by one of the Boards of the American Board of Medical Specialties is also required.
A competitive compensation program will be tailored to the selected candidate. Base salary will be supplemented by a performance bonus and comprehensive, well-rounded benefits program, which includes relocation assistance.
Employment practices will not be influenced or affected by an applicant’s or
employee’s race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), national origin,
age, disability, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or
expression, veteran status or any other legally protected status. Tenet will
make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities
unless doing so would result in an undue hardship.
Tenet participates in the E-Verify program. Follow the link below for additional information.
Jobs for You
No related jobs. View All of Our Available Opportunities
Related Content (Headline is visually hidden)
Life at Tenet
What’s it like to work at Tenet? We’re connected by a passion for making a difference in people’s lives, from patients to...Learn more about life at Tenet
Learn about the process for applying for a job at Tenet Healthcare. We want our candidates to have a great experience, a...Learn more about our process
Tenet offers a competitive benefits package for full-time and part-time employees who work more than 24 hours a week. In...Learn more about our benefits
Interested in being part of our Community Built on Care? Search opportunities for many types of jobs across the country...Learn more about our opportunities